Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
RJ82much

Default window-valence-shade

I am trying to replace my fogged bedroom slide window. I'm told it's a "piece of cake".

Well, the process seems to require taking the screws out of the window frame from the inside. Can't get to the top screws because the valence is in the way. Can't figure how to remove the valence since the wall brackets are hidden by the day/night shade. Can't figure how to remove the day/night shade.

I need to be able to put everything back together... undamaged!

Help! Anyone taken off a valence? a day/night shade?

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Luckiest Dreamer

Although I have never removed the day night shades in the Gulf Stream I have in my 5th wheel. They are attached with two snap lock's at the top of the shade. If you can get a view they are easy, just a squeeze of the thumb and forefinger. (easy to say and it will be once you figure it out)
Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
RJ82much

Thanks Luckiest,

I couldn't find or feel anything like what you described, though it makes sense.

My side window in front of the driver's door is also fogged... and no valence or shade!!! Decided to operate on it 1st. Getting the window/frame out IS easy! I took it to a local glass & window shop & will know on Monday if they can replace the glass. If so, I'll do a full investigation on the bedroom slide window removal.

Meanwhile, anyone else with some tips - much appreciated.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 08-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

It has been a while since I removed any, but if I remember correctly, this is how I did it....

The blinds are held up by screws at the top that you can access by lowering the blinds all the way, then look up where the material is at the top. You might have to pull the excess material around a little to see them.

There is usually two screws that hold them up, one on each end appox one inch or more from the end. They screw thru the extra material and the frame at the top.

The screws take square drive bit. I have a 12" extension in a screwdriver that excepts the bits to make it easier to get to the screws.

Sometimes it feels like one has to stand on your head to access/see the screws.

If I lived closer I would be happy to show you where/how to remove them, but Ohio is a bit far.

If you really want to have fun, replace the string/rope that is in them.

I have done quite a few of them, first in our 5th wheel and two motorhomes.

Yep, the wife is really rough on them.....

Good luck with the windows. With two of mine I was able to get the windows from Gulf Stream and I installed them myself when the old ones seal went bad.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
RJ82much

Ron,

Thank you very much for your words of wisdom. I have the square-drive bits & many extensions - now I need to stand on my head, poke through the excess fabric & attempt to drop the blinds!

I tried last year to get the windows through the factory. Scott Pullin & Aaron appeared to have made a valient attempt to locate either of my failed windows. So I went on my way in the fog.

This year, I was in your Ohio neighborhood, but never dreamed I would have this difficulty.

Thank you & I'll post any results (or failures).

'05 Sun Voyager #8351