Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
Smithcd46

Default Bicycle hauling

Has anyone found a solution to hauling bicycles on a Vintage Cruiser. Expect it would be the same for a Vista Cruiser. We have a 19ERD and want to take bicycles with us. There does not be a simple solution as the rear bumper will not take a bumper mounted bike rack. Looked at the rack that goes over the tanks for the front, but it would seem to interfere with the sewer hose holder. The other thought I had was installing a class 3 hitch to the rear frame.

Any ideas.

Chuck
Smithcd46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
exjay

Default Re: Bicycle hauling

When we had our 16' jayco we carried 4 bikes inside leaning some on the dinnette cushions/seating. We had them strapped together to limit movement or shifting, also had several movers blankets wrapped all around them then placd a large piece of cardboard along some cabinet where one of the tires would possible rub. We traveled from Myrtle Beach to Disney and back with out an issue this way. Our Jayco had the "C" channel thin bumper too so this was our only option (not owning a pick-up truck)
Old 03-10-2017, 07:34 AM   #3
jol

Not sure if you have addressed this yet, but I have a Vintage Cruiser 19RBS and have a product made by Lippert called a jack-it bike rack that mounts to the tongue jack. Using same holes they even send new bolts and so far it works great. When I bought mine talked to the person who designed it, Lippert is manufacturing it now. I am really impressed. Check on Ebay as it is cheaper than the others.

Rob
jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #4
Smithcd46

Thank you for the information on Lippert. This looks like a great solution. One last question. Did you see any affect on your gas mileage?

Thanks.

Chuck
Old 03-11-2017, 07:00 AM   #5
jol

Glad I could help on bike rack issue, like I said when I bought it was not found in Lippert Arsenal but glad I did as every other one that was tongue mount just would not work. Anyway now you ask about effecting gas mileage, well I tow the 19RBS with a F150 Supercrew 3:73 limitied slip differental and a 5.4 Triton so all that being said the joke is so you get 12mpg towing or not and that is not a joke 12mpg towing. Well that 12 is a bit of an exaggeration as I did get 17 on a trip to St. Louis running 70. But the mileage is not a big selling point on older F150's or as I say "Gotta pay to play." Enjoy and hope the rack will work for you.

Rob
Old 03-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #6
Smithcd46

Thanks for the information. We have a 2016 Pilot and are seeing 13 to 14mpg while towing. Sounds like the bike rack has little effect. Thanks for the information.

Chuck
Old 03-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #7
jol

You are more than welcome, on the Jayco Hummingbird web site they have a picture of it or the original manufacturers web site is letsgoaero.com gives all the details. Enjoy the camper and may even pass on the road one day.

Rob
Old 03-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #8
jayrock

wow, I think I may have to get one of these.
They do not sway in the wind though, being up so high
jayrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
jol

But there should not be that much wind back there, I wouldn't think also the bike sits low in frame.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #10
Smithcd46

Did you guys see the ad for Jack-it in the April Trailer Life. It is on page 65. Interesting how it came out while we are looking at it.

Chuck
Old 03-22-2017, 02:28 PM   #11
jol

I saw it on a trailer in a campground, never did see it in trailer life. I know when I bought it from Amazon it was definitely cheaper than what they want now.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #12
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcd46
Did you guys see the ad for Jack-it in the April Trailer Life. It is on page 65. Interesting how it came out while we are looking at it.

Chuck
Did not see it in Trailer Life, but have noticed that now it is on LCI1.com which is Lippert Components website. I did talk to our dealer the other day on a warranty replacement on awning and led lights on awning, another two Lippert products and he had seen the rack on our Vintage Cruiser and asked what it was. Took it upon myself to put it all together as the arms and such can come off and be stored so they are not sitting there empty. He was so impressed that he ordered three of them to have available if people as how to carry bikes and even has one installed on a unit. I wonder if I should get a commission on them, just kidding. Have you thought of getting one? Works great and makes it so much easier on all concerned. Now just need to sell the Yakima 3 bike one that we used on motorhome and fifth wheel and if need be if we just go local to haul bikes on. We also have a Kuat NV that our son uses sometimes. Too many bike carriers, yes you can have to many.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:09 AM   #13
kim

We just bought the Jack It bike rack and it's currently being installed on the trailer, by our RV guys. Excited about bieing able to haul the bikes.
kim is offline   Reply With Quote