Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-02-2022, 09:30 PM   #1
OurOldRV

Default Vinyl Plank flooring

We have a 99 Sun Voyager Bus and are currently replacing the flooring. We thought about a vinyl sheet, but noticed that the slide drops when it falls off the carpet and laminate that would could not reach under the slide. We chose Lifeproof and am trying to figure out the best way to install it under the couch and kitchen cabinet part of the slide. Has anyone done this or been able to get all the old flooring out?
OurOldRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:20 PM   #2
SlimTim

How did your flooring project work out? Any do's and don'ts you can pas on?
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 09:54 AM   #3
RY469

I've done new flooring, and in some cases (to get to the flooring under the edge of the slide) the most effective way may seem a bit extreme to you . . . You can remove the slide.
>IF< you want to venture down this road . . . Your slide is supported by the two arms underneath it. You can unbolt the ends and remove the slide completely.
There is usually one electrical cable connecting the 12V lights in the slide to power. Located at one of the arms.
The slide requires support (obviously) under the slide once extended (like two saw horses, etc). It is a good idea to mark the position of the hardware on the end of the arms holding the slide to ensure they bolt back up in the same (adjustment) position. A mist of white spray paint works well.
Alternately (in lieu of removing the slide) you can remove carpet, etc. off the front edge of the slide, maybe get a little better access, but typically the floor of the slide will still be in your way. The slide can be jacked up on the inside end of the slide once fully extended. Two floor jacks and 2x4's on the outside edge work well. Of course it will only go as high as the (small) gap at the top of the slide. That's maybe an extra inch of access, may or may not help much.
On the positive side, any irregularities of installation UNDER the slide won't be seen, so it does not need to necessarily be perfect. I hope this helps a little(?).
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 01:27 PM   #4
bharbison2500

I have a 99 Sun Voyager 8362 SVB. I replaced the flooring from front to back with Pergo Water Resistant plank floor. Getting under the sliding has 2 challenges. First making sure all of the original floor is removed. Mine had some sort of hardwood in the kitchen area. I made a tool that I could slip under the flooring and with a hammer was able to remove the original flooring completely. Second you need to assemble the flooring and slide it under the slide out. This is not easy because you may need to "fit" some things. The whole RV from front to back tool 3 days which included removing the seats, toilet, etc. to make it easier to install. I made some additional tools out of plastics to make install easier. Having a flooring cutter is the way to go as well. I've attached a couple of pictures.

Hope this helps you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211024_183325.jpg (172.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20211014_143411.jpg (217.0 KB, 4 views)
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad
bharbison2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 05:35 PM   #5
Chuck v

The step cover came out looking very good !!

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 09:40 AM   #6
Chiefsfan1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurOldRV View Post
We have a 99 Sun Voyager Bus and are currently replacing the flooring. We thought about a vinyl sheet, but noticed that the slide drops when it falls off the carpet and laminate that would could not reach under the slide. We chose Lifeproof and am trying to figure out the best way to install it under the couch and kitchen cabinet part of the slide. Has anyone done this or been able to get all the old flooring out?
I used a product from xlflooring in Canada called “drop and done “
It has no joint connections , it is fully water repellant 100% , I used a adhesive caulk on the back to keep them down better, it can be cut with a razor knife, they have lots of nice colors and textures, it’s the easiest rv floor install in my 35 years of rving. Www.xlfooring.com. And you can pull up damaged pieces and just lay a new one in its place. It’s just planks layed side by side and end to end, tight, no gaps at edges . If you cut it good enough , you don’t need baseboard. I love it.
Chiefsfan1960 is offline   Reply With Quote