Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

View Poll Results: Roof leak, wet ceiling
Roof leak 1 100.00%
Wet ceiling 0 0%
Rain 0 0%
Roof coating 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
neondon

Default Rain roof leak

Water in ceiling after hard rain
Third owner of a 2004 Friendship pusher with under 40,000 on a good chassis. Just discovered a rain-related wet ceiling problem. The vinyl ceiling insulation is soaked from the forward AC area, over the control console, It drips a quart or so of water from the seam over the now flat screen TV soaking the carpet below. A dry paint roller will move water toward that opening, dropping another pint into a bucket. A local RV shop suggested a self-leveling sealer on the roof, which I applied in a low corner and under the edges of the forward AC unit. Two tubes of white silicone caulk were used on any suspect openings.

Does anyone know how to dry out whatever is above that vinyl ceiling? Any clues as to likely source of moisture from hard rains?
neondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
Chuck v

Don, See my reply in the other thread on Leaky Interior...

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
neondon

Thanks Chuck. Another question: Where are the condensate drains from the roof AC units on the Gulfstream Friendships and I suppose other roof-air units?
Old 06-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
Chuck v

Don,

On my coach, both AC units have their condensate drains running over the surface of the roof and over the side of the motor home. I always thought this was rather crude for an otherwise higher end diesel pusher...but considering how an internal/hidden drain might fail spectacularly in regards to vehicle water damage perhaps I should count my blessings...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #5
neondon

Thanks again. I’m ordering a roof seal for that front AC. A
A couple of beads of self leveling seal-caulk may help...
Old 06-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
Sudsy

Default My leak story

I am currently fighting a leak issue around the forward clearance lights. The drivers side showed signs of water damage on the woodwork. We have had rains like I have not had since I bought this thing and it showed it's leak to me. I tried to remove the light assy and the screws just fell out. They were rusted in half. I have two 3/4 inch spikes that I hope I can get out with vise grips. Someone had removed the light assy's and sealed the with RTV. They even had RTV on the screw heads. This still leaked and filled the plastic light assy's until the empties thru the bulb assy and into the coach. I am replacing the light with LEDs but I have read and if I were keeping my originals I would remove all of the RTV and drill drain holes in the plastic assy's to let the water out. The sun can't even evaporate the water if it's sealed up like that. Every time I find a problem with this coach someone else has been there ahead of me.

Sudsy
Old 06-02-2018, 02:17 PM   #7
neondon

Thanks for the comfort that I'm not alone. A shop vacuum crevice tool against that 3" opening in the seam above the TV brought out some more water, making the 2" vac. Hose cool as it drew out. I'm told that the most likely source is checking in the "fiberglass" roof. Also commented was a report of the wrong roof sealer paint destroying a fiberglass roof: "Rubber paint" over fiberglass may not be a good choice. It's tempting to buy some $75 a gallon Dicor fiberglass roof paint on-line, or any other suggestions? Gulfstream may get a question from me on Monday... Neondon

Tags
ceiling, dry, leak, rain, roof