Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
trickto322

Default Trip update

We are now in Quartzsite, AZ. and our Tourmaster performed fantastic the 2100 miles to get here. Just like everyone else on this formum I have voiced my opinion on the quality of our investment. However this time the problem came from our toad. We just got a 2006 HHR chevy. This is the first time we towed 4 down. We read the instructions over and over so we thought we had it down. Pull the #8 fuse, yada, yada, yada. After the first few hundred miles DW said we should start the car. DEAD BATTERY! We charged it up and went over the instructions again. Next few hundred miles we tried to start it again. DEAD BATTERY! After many miles and head aches trying to figure out what was happening we finally got it after flagging down another HHR. We were pulling the wrong fuse. How can that happen? The schmatic for the fuses is upsidedown. Talk about problems that the SOMEONE should pick up. The state of production in this country is in sad, sad shape. It appears that no one really cares about the quality of their work.
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
Retird2Golf

Send a message via MSN to Retird2Golf

trickto, I'm happy to hear that the trip went well ..... Tourmaster is
an awesome Coach. Now about that Chevy ..... Jeep Liberty 4WD .....
No fuses , just set the 4w in neutral, trans in park, and tow away ..
Oh Yeah, Leave the Hand brake OFF...

Best Regards, Clyde
Old 12-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
rdlamb

I tow a Rubicon. Manual trans, so can leave the trans in neutral, and/or transfer case in neutral. Usually, I do both.

I learned that you have to make sure the ignition switch is at the unlock, but accessories not on, position. Battery drains fast.

Wired the Rubicon with an U.S. Gear aux brake system. I know it works, have panic stopped and felt the Rubicon help slow the coach. Whew, that was close.

Also wired a hot to the Rubicon to charge the battery while being towed. Have not, knock knock, drained the battery while being towed.

If you have an engine brake (Jake), make sure it is OFF if there is any ice/snow or chance the road is slick. You should never experience a coach about to swap ends.

Safe travels.
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:14 AM   #4
Retird2Golf

Right rd, don,t tow without a brake system. I use the APOLLO from BlueOx, and, like you say, you can feel that "puppy" kick when you need it.It also has an "alert" lite at the dash that confirms the system is working. Many good systems out there at a reasonable cost.
Also if you tow without a brake system (required in most states) your
insurance company can void the insurance.

Happy Travels and Best Regards, Clyde
Old 12-16-2007, 12:26 AM   #5
trickto322

The Jeep was first on our list but the $$$$ were not right for us. Hence, the HHR. I have looking at the different aux. brakes since we got here and we just saw a Blue Ox Apollo and it looks pretty easy to install.
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:03 AM   #6
Retird2Golf

Yeppers, just 3wires and the unit comes with the wire loom. connecting, I should say, setting up the brake unit takes 5 minutes.
Which ever you choose "don't leave home without it".

Best Regards, Clyde
Old 12-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Texas TC

I have a Roadmaster Add a Brake from CW that I absolutely hate. I have used it on a couple of trips in my Jeep Wrangler (2007) and prefer not to use it. I keep it in the coach in case some nice officer makes me install it but my coach and Jeep combined weight do not exceed my coach GVWR of 25900# and, of course, it does not come close to my GCWR of 33000# so I really have no problems stopping both vehicles without using an aux. brake system. I suppose if I were in the mountains it might come in handy but for normal Interstate driving (which is most of my travel), I prefer not to use the brake system.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
RJ82much

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlamb

Also wired a hot to the Rubicon to charge the battery while being towed. Have not, knock knock, drained the battery while being towed.

Safe travels.
Rick
I flat-tow my prized ZR2 offroad Blazer. I let a local RV repair shop prep my Blazer for being towed. They installed the completely independant rear-lighting kit - meaning the tail lights are actually powered by my MH. There are no diodes & no connection to the auto electrical system. I asked that a spare contact on the 6-way connector be used to charge the Blazer battery (or vice versa should the MH batteries become discharged.

That worked well (sarcasm). Seems the load from the Apollo brake, or the auto security system, (or something) is able to discharge the car battery in as little as 24 hours. I discovered that no ground return path between the Blazer & the MH was provided (which made no sense to me... the lights should have a common ground, but don't.

My reason for retelling this post is to remind anyone looking for a charging circuit between MH & toad to check that indeed you have a complete circuit.

Until I get ambitious and wire a ground, I just use a jumper cable frame to frame for the desired results. I think my final solution will be similar. Perhaps a receptacle on each vehicle & a cable with mating plugs to go between.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:10 PM   #9
rdlamb

Hi Bob:
The Tour Master comes with a 4 and a 7 wire connection at the hitch. The U.S. Gear hooks into the 7 wire. There is already a connection at the steering column. U.S. Gear sold me an adapter cheap, about 19$ if I recall.
There is a hot, and a ground in the 7 wire connection.
Therefore, the connection charges my Rubicon, along with stops it.
Anyway, nice that Freightliner pre-wires the coach for an auxiliary brake system.
Safe Travels.
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote