Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
David Bott

Default Tour Master Owners - Is Your Generator Auto Start Working?

Hello All...

Well, here is a question that some of you may have never have tried, for you may not know that it can do it, and thus you may not know that you may have an issue. (This is a feature that I would think would be used a lot by dry campers.)

This affects units with a Xantrex Charger/Inverter & Powertech 8K Diesel Generator.

One of the options for the Xantrex is the ability to auto start and auto stop the generator based on the the battery voltage. Example...It can be set to start the generator say when the batteries get down to 11v and then stop when the batteries are back at float charge. (Actually several start and stop point can be set in the menu.)

In any case, our 08 Tour Master would not do this and I had the fine people at Dick Gores RV World in Jacksonville take a look. Sure enough, it was not set right and they were able to adjust the wiring and changed a setting on the controller from Powertech to Oran. (this is because of how the signal is sent.) Poof, all was well.

It turns out that the Powertech uses one wire to both start and stop the generator. Put 12v on it for a second and remove it, it does a generator start up. (Note this is what the toggle switch you use to manually start it does.) Put 12v again on it, and it will stop. Well, the Xantrex needed the wires moved to do this as this generator it turns out is differnt than the normal setup for on and off for most gens.

So, the first question is...Did you know your coach should be able to do this? And second, if you did, does yours work? (Easy test, on the Xantrex panel use the arrows to go to the screen for start/stop generator. Press the on/off button. In a few seconds the generator should start. If it does, after a few mins press it again...it should stop. If it does not work...it is not wired correctly or some other issue. (Note...when doing this test after you press the on/off button if you then press the arrow to go back to the status screen you will see what it is currently trying to do.) (Note 2...If it does not start you will get an red error light and a beep...do not panic. Just go back the the gen start stop and press on/off again. It is just trying to tell you it could not start the generator.)

So....Some of you may know that my inverter did go out on me and was replaced at the Gulf Stream plant. Of course they ended up wiring it back to factory setup. As such, mine no longer worked again for auto. So I went to set the wiring and ended up finding out that actually this inverter is actually defective also! You see, the generator stop relay has a Common, Normally Open, and a Normally Close. Well, both are closed. As such, I can auto start the generator but can not stop it as the relay is stuck in the closed position and it should only close when it gets the command to close. AUGH!!!!!

Any case...does any Tour Master owner have their working?
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
univmd

Default Inverter and generator and EMS

Hello, I thought of you when I went to play with my Tourmaster today. Yes I know that the Xantrex is supposed to auto turn on my generator when the batteries are low. However, I never tested this function by running down my batteries. But I did turn on the generator manually using the Xantrex per your instructions, and yes the generator did turn on via the Xantrex. I was also able to turn off the generator using the Xantrex. No red lights. No beep. So I guess mine is wired correctly? Let me know if there are any other tests you would like me to run, in order to troubleshoot yours.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
David Bott

Good to read yours is fine. So far I have found at least 2, 3 if you count mine twice.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 06-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
David Bott

Hey univmd...

I hate to ask, but if you feel doing something, it could be of help. I need a photo of the wires.

If you could go to your inverter and take out the two screws on the front (the side facing the right inside of the compartment) that holds a cover plate on and then remove the cover plate. Under it you will see all the connection wires and terminals. The photo I am looking for would be of the terminals with the smaller wires on them which control the generator. As long as I can see the wire colors I can figure out the order and see what might be happening.

I do know however I have an inverter issue as I have a bad relay. But the wire code of one that is working would be nice.

If you do not care to, it is no issue, but thought I would ask. If you do, I can PM you my e-mail address.

David
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 06-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
univmd

Default More than happy to help

I would be more than happy to help, I will PM you now.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
David Bott

Thanks.

Or even just give me the color of the wires and what slot they are in. And if their are any jumpers used.

You can just give me slot #1 Green or whatever going from left to right. Some will be empty.

I am looking for the small wires that come in from the bottom and attach to the bottom of the slots.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #7
David Bott

No one else can to do the simple test? Or are you afraid yours may not be working. LOL

Easy test, on the Xantrex panel use the arrows to go to the screen for start/stop generator. Press the on/off button on the XANTREX. In a few seconds the generator should start. If it does, after a few mins press it again...it should stop. If it does not work...it is not wired correctly or some other issue. (Note...when doing this test after you press the on/off button if you then press the arrow to go back to the status screen you will see what it is currently trying to do. START, STOP, CRANK, ETC) (Note 2...If it does not start you will get an red error light and a beep...do not panic. Just go back the the gen start stop and press on/off again. It is just trying to tell you it could not start the generator.)
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 07-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
univmd

Default Test

Haha, at first I was afraid to do the simple test in case I messed up anything. But I did it, and it was very simple, and am glad that I know how to do it now. BTW I still need to take a picture of my inverter for you. I found the white box yesterday. I am afraid to open it without disconnecting all the batteries because of the sticker on the top that says to do so. But it looks like I can simply unscrew the two screws, take a pic, and close it again without disconnecting the batteries or turning off the inverter right? As you can see, I am not electrical-savy... James
Old 07-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
David Bott

James...you are correct...but please DO NOT do anything you do not feel right doing. It is no big deal.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 07-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
rdlamb

David:
I have the 07 TM. I'm not sure my Xantrex is the same as yours, but it would be nice to know if it auto-started when my batteries were low.

What model of Xantrex do you have?

Also, we have the Onan generator.
Thanks

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
David Bott

Hi Rick...

The control panel in the coach is the RC/GS. You may have better luck with your working as it should as the gen is different. But if you have the RC/GS, ou should be able to start it and stop it as mentioned.

If you can, great, the rest is easy to set up to auto charge on low battery and then auto turn off when batteries are ready.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 07-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
rdlamb

Thank you David; will see if I have the RC/GS control panel. It would be nice to know if the generator is automatically set up to start when the inverter batteries are low. Will let you know. It will be after the weekend, as tomorrow is my beer drinking buddies day, and I'm afraid my ability to post messagenmesstrwas mayyyy belnls limiltelnalsd,

Old 07-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
univmd

Default Emailed you pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott
James...you are correct...but please DO NOT do anything you do not feel right doing. It is no big deal.
Hi David, I finally emailed you about 10 pictures of the inside of my inverter. Please let me know if you need more pics or any help with the RV. I would be more than happy to tell you what's on my RV to help you troubleshoot your issues. This is true for anyone else on here, let me know if you need me to take pics of anything on my 08 Tourmaster for comparison.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
David Bott

Hi...

Photos received...THANKS!

I must say...Very interesting that the RED wire was not used but it was hooked up on mine. Pondering to say the least.

I will be going to Gulf Stream next week to get the the bottom of this.

Thanks again.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 07-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #15
David Bott

Just to verify...You do have a PowerTech generator correct? I ask based on the use of 3 wires vs 4.

Thanks
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 07-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #16
univmd

Default Yes powertech

Yes I have the 8KW powertech generator. Let me know what the tech says next week. Glad you got the pics.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #17
rdlamb

David:
We are going to stop at GS on the 27th, hope to see you there.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #18
David Bott

Sorry to say more than likely will be gone by then. But with GS, you never know.

Thanks
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 07-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #19
rdlamb

I found out that GS did not repair their shop, after the tornado destroyed it two years ago, thus the factory "service" I was anticipating will not occur. Instead, GS referred me to two nearby RV repair centers for my requested service. So, we will stop for a factory tour, and to critically inspect what is going on with GS, but our service might as well be done locally.

Sorry we will miss you, will continue to travel so no doubt our paths will cross somewhere.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #20
David Bott

Looks like we may be their after all as the paint work I wanted to get done, the main guy is not their. So we are pushing it a week and may arrive Sunday night or Monday.

In that area YOU WANT to go to see Dave at RV One. Small shop, make an appointment for sure, but the guys are all master RV techs.

You can say at the Gulf Stream camping area. Water, electric, and a dump station across the street. Just set it up with Cindy.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad