Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-13-2020, 07:09 AM   #1
MAJWayne88

Default 2006 Gulfstream Yellowstone

I just bought a 35', 2006 Gulfstream Yellowstone yesterday. Having some issues (as I figured I would) with it in the first 24 hours. On my way home from the dealership, the galley slide popped loose. I was able to retrieve it, BUT then neither the galley slide OR the living slide would work. Anyone got ideas where to start my troubleshooting? When I press the buttons to run them out, there is no sound at all. Text me @2546304362 or email [email protected].
MAJWayne88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
Chuck v

Unless the driver's seat is fully forward, the slides on most motorhomes will not move...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:46 PM   #3
MAJWayne88

That is correct with this one. However, I did that and still nothing happened. Then a maintenance guy came to look at another issue I was having and when I told him I couldn't get the slides out, he push in the emergency brake (also part of the instructions) and put the seat forward, but then he wiggled the armrest (for what reason, I haven't a clue) and they went out. (reminds of holding rabbit ears and standing on one foot with your tongue sticking out to get good TV reception)
Old 08-13-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
Chuck v

Sounds like a loose connection...I would trace the wiring and inspect everything. The wires to the switch that senses the seat travel get pulled quite a bit if the seat is swiveled the wrong way around when facing it to the rear -- there was enough cable length to go one way but not the other on my Tour Master...

Chuck

Old 08-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #5
MAJWayne88

Thank you, I will check those connections.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:22 AM   #6
MAJWayne88

I have a device mounted under the dash, by my left knee, that I cannot figure out. Attached is a photo of it. Can anyone tell what it is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0821201116_Film4.jpg (82.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
Chuck v

Looks like an electric brake controller for a towed vehicle...does it light up when you depress the service brake?

Chuck

Old 08-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #8
MAJWayne88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Looks like an electric brake controller for a towed vehicle...does it light up when you depress the service brake?

Chuck
Last night I was testing all my lights, and found that when the button is pushed on this device, the taillights light up, but that's it. However, based on what you are saying, if a trailer were connected, it might do something else. So I will keep this in mind (trailer come soon, to an RV near me!) LOL. Thank you, Chuck V!

If anyone happens to know a model number, brand, or product name of this device, I would be very grateful!
Old 08-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #9
MAJWayne88

Chuck V, thank you very much for the information you provided! I found that it is indeed a Trailer Brake Controller, Tekonsha Pilot Model 80550.

You da man!!
Old 08-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #10
CAP

I have a 2006 BT Cruiser and my slides won't work unless the emergency brake is engaged. I don't have to move the seat forward or wiggle the arm rest.

I also use slide locks. They come in different lengths so measure the distance between the wall and the slide closed before you order.

https://www.camperpartsworld.com/slide-out-lock.html
Old 08-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #11
jamesham

Device is to activate electric trailer brakes on a tow. We have one in the same place. Mine draws power from a red wire running direct to battery with 30amp fuse at battery. It is activated by a wire going to the hot side of the brake light switch mounted above the brake pedal. A blue wire goes to the rear of the coach to the 7 pin trailer wiring harness. To test, you will need to have ignition switch on, somebody to depress brake pedal, and test light at the rear where the connector should be taped up somewhere around the middle of the hitch. You will need to scrape off some paint for a good test ground, or use the ground pin of the trailer light connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJWayne88 View Post
I have a device mounted under the dash, by my left knee, that I cannot figure out. Attached is a photo of it. Can anyone tell what it is?
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 01:03 PM   #12
jamesham

Our Yellowstone requires the ignition switch be off and trans in park. Either the MH has to be plugged in to electric outlet or generator running because the battery seems to need a little extra help to move the slide in or out.

[QUOTE=MAJWayne88;31584]I just bought a 35', 2006 Gulfstream Yellowstone yesterday. Having some issues (as I figured I would) with it in the first 24 hours. On my way home from the dealership, the galley slide popped loose. I
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:26 AM   #13
MAJWayne88

Default Dinette Wanted

Hey there, Happy Campers! I have a new challenge for you today. I am looking for a beige, 2007 color/pattern for the GS Yellowstone model 8357. See attached photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8357 Pattern.jpg (134.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-01-2020, 08:53 AM   #14
MAJWayne88

Default Wheel

Does anyone know where I could find a decent, used 22.5x7.5, aluminum 8-lug rim? I want to put together a spare for my rig....just in case. A decent tire on it, would be a bonus!
Old 09-01-2020, 08:57 AM   #15
MAJWayne88

So, I was finally able to get my slides to go in and out, but the levelers are not working properly. I currently have it in the shop and the mechanic is telling there is no problem with the hydraulic pump or the control panel. Anyone got any ideas? Run into this issue before?
Old 09-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #16
Chuck v

Wayne,

Where will you carry and store a spare of this size? I know that as a senior citizen I would never be able to handle a wheel and tire of this size on the side of the road myself, so I always had the RV coverage adder on my AAA card. What jack do you plan to use to enable changing a tire on the road and where would you carry that?

I used to have a spare tire and wheel for my small travel trailer and even had to put it into service once, but that was an automotive sized assembly on a 15 inch rim -- and even then it was no picnic on the edge of the highway.

I watched as the commercial tire service replaced my 6 tires with new 22.5 inch monsters when I renewed the set due to casing age (not tread wear...) and was very glad such services are for hire. If you do decide to carry a spare, please post pictures of how you do it for other members here to benefit from your ingenuity.

Chuck

Old 09-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #17
Chuck v

Wayne,

What levelers to you have? I collected quite a bit of literature on the PowerGear unit used on my coach which I can e-mail to you if you provide me an address -- use a PM here to keep your information private.

Chuck

Old 09-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #18
MAJWayne88

Quote:
Wayne,

Where will you carry and store a spare of this size? I know that as a senior citizen I would never be able to handle a wheel and tire of this size on the side of the road myself, so I always had the RV coverage adder on my AAA card. What jack do you plan to use to enable changing a tire on the road and where would you carry that?

I used to have a spare tire and wheel for my small travel trailer and even had to put it into service once, but that was an automotive sized assembly on a 15 inch rim -- and even then it was no picnic on the edge of the highway.

I watched as the commercial tire service replaced my 6 tires with new 22.5 inch monsters when I renewed the set due to casing age (not tread wear...) and was very glad such services are for hire. If you do decide to carry a spare, please post pictures of how you do it for other members here to benefit from your ingenuity.

Chuck

As for carrying the spare, I found a mount on eTrailer.com made by Roadmaster, that can slide into my receiver hitch and still allow a trailer ball for pulling a trailer. It has an extendable lever to swing the mount down to tire level for mounting, long enough to reduce the leverage to lift it into the mounted position. As for as lifting the motorhome, I'm looking into a 22-ton hydraulic bottle jack. More to follow when acquisitions are completed. The mount should be here any day...still working on the jack and the spare. I'm told, the spare should weigh in around 120 pounds +/- a bit.

The reason I'm going this route (I do plan to have roadside added to my insurance) is to avoid the roadside hacks that charge three times the going rate and take forever to get to you. Many consider me a senior at 62, but I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in, so not afraid of a little work to save some money. Yes, I will post photos, when I have the "kit" assembled.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:43 AM   #19
Chuck v

Wayne,

Thanks for the additional information -- most tires of this size are just under 150 lbs, and your coach may use a smaller cross-section than my full size 42 foot diesel pusher.

Another consideration is how you will remove and re-torque the lug nuts, as these are specified to be torqued to 500 FT-LBS. You will need at least a 3/4 drive wrench, and a reliable torque wrench will run you $650 or more -- here is an example:
https://www.protorquetools.com/3-4-d...ench-12006-4r/

Let us know how much you end up having invested in the rim, tire, dolly, bottle jack, tire carrier, heavy air wrench and torque wrench in total, and then divide that by the number of times you need to use it to see if this is an economical and effective way to avoid the potential cost and ineptitude of others while on the road.

As much as I have worried about the potential of bad 'professional' maintenance of large rigs that pass me or I meet on the road, I am no less concerned by the owner maintained ones in general -- but I do have many friends that are meticulous with their machines. Far the biggest worry I have had is the driver of the rig that is in their later years and do not have all that much experience in handling a large rig under emergency conditions. Most members of this forum are not in this category and are serious about the condition of their coaches and the skills they needed to develop to operate them properly/safely.

Looking forward to your pictures. On the second topic...regarding providing you with the documents on leveling systems that I have, these have been e-mailed to the address in your first post.

Chuck

Old 09-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #20
MAJWayne88

Quote:
Wayne,

What levelers to you have? I collected quite a bit of literature on the PowerGear unit used on my coach which I can e-mail to you if you provide me an address -- use a PM here to keep your information private.

Chuck
You already set me up with the manuals for my system. Thank you for that, my wife printed them (and every other component manual we could find) and put them in a binder just for the motorhome. I'm looking at the manual now, and dogged if I can find a module that he's referring to. I may have to take my manual over there and help him! LOL

Tags
slide, slide out