Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class A
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-18-2022, 07:47 PM   #1
Larrygmoody

Default 2004 SC - New SmartVisor wiring mystery

I purchased a new SmartVisor for the driver's side of my 2004 SC. When we got the RV, the passenger side visor was there, and working fine, but the driver's side was missing. The new SmartVisor is the same brand/design as the passenger side.

Here's a link to the visor: https://www.rvpartscountry.com/36-In...art-Visor.html

There are existing switches on the dash to operate each visor, and the new visor also came with a switch and wiring harness. I prefer to use the existing in-dash switch. There is one red wire hanging down from the roof to connect the visor, but the new visor has a red wire and a black wire. I connected the two red wires together and held the black wire on the outer ring of the cigarette lighter, which is a negative ground. This caused the visor to retract about 1/8". Moving the in-dash switch up or down did nothing.

This where I messed up . Thinking that the normal up/down operation is achieved by switching polarity, I reversed the wires and tried the same experiment again. Naturally, I blew a fuse somewhere, because now there's no response from either the old or the new visor using the in-dash switches.

Can someone please tell me 1) how to connect this new visor to the existing switch and 2) where to find the fuse that controls these visors? There are fuses in the driver side forward bay for the individual visors, but neither of those fuses are blown. I'm thinking there's a shared fuse or relay somewhere.

Any help is appreciated!
Larrygmoody is offline   Reply With Quote