Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class A
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-10-2023, 09:23 AM   #1
proost

Default Can't level - no signal from parking brake indicator

Hi everyone,
I had a new LCI leveling system installed in the coach back in 2019 on my 2007 Tourmaster T40A.

One safety feature is that you cannot level unless the parking brake is set. Per Lippert, a wire is connected directly to the parking brake system and when the parking brake is set, it indicates a ground on the wire attached to the control box. I know which wire it is (white) and when I measured it with an ohm meter setting while cycling the parking brake, it did not change. The circuit remained open which tells me I may have a loose connection somewhere. It's also a transient problem. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's hard down now.

When I cycle the parking brake, everything on the dash panel and on the chassis side of things works as expected. I get the parking brake light, I get audibles if I put the coach in drive but leave the parking brake set, etc etc. I just cannot get that "Engage Parking Brake" flashing indicator to clear.

Short of grounding out that wire to bypass this important safety feature, does anyone have any idea where that Lippert wire would tie into the parking brake indicator wiring? I took apart my side console in the cockpit and the wiring looks good and I chased it down into the deck penetration. From the Lippert control box, it's a two-wire run forward. Short of going hand over hand to try and track this down, thought I'd ask the group. My forward driver's side bay just under the cockpit has my fuse blocks and some power relays and a bunch of wiring but nothing has stood out as identifiable. My gut tells me that that connection point is the culprit. I just don't know where that is.

Any ideas?
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:56 AM   #2
Bike Dr

Hello my coach works by air that signals the leveling system from the brakes being set as you mentioned. Now mine gets it signal from a small air fitting on a small air manifold that come off of the brake set pull knob. If the signal is not changing then it's probably fitting on the manifold that goes to the leveling system and that switch seems to be bad I have replaced them in the past. It's an air operating 1/4 fitting with a wire terminal on the top. There may be more then one that operates other features likes brake lights and indicators.
Hope this helps a little!!

2005 41'4 Atrium SE CAT
2017 20' Weller's closed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 09:01 AM   #3
proost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Dr View Post
Hello my coach works by air that signals the leveling system from the brakes being set as you mentioned. Now mine gets it signal from a small air fitting on a small air manifold that come off of the brake set pull knob. If the signal is not changing then it's probably fitting on the manifold that goes to the leveling system and that switch seems to be bad I have replaced them in the past. It's an air operating 1/4 fitting with a wire terminal on the top. There may be more then one that operates other features likes brake lights and indicators.
Hope this helps a little!!

2005 41'4 Atrium SE CAT
2017 20' Weller's closed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Thanks for the reply. I’ve ohm’d the switch and it is good. Also, it’s a white wire coming off the Lippert control box and the wires are red and black off of the switch. That tells me that there is another connection point somewhere. Thanks again though.
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 01:01 PM   #4
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

If the LIPPERT WIRE SHARES the same switch and contacts as the DASH Indicator, then the problem= Lippert wire, maybe a bad crimp on a push-on, or a loose push-on that needs a little tweek w/ pliers to tighten the push-on? Re: Wire color, maybe just indicates that wire extended to reach w/ a different color. Good Luck.

Tags
leveling system, parking brake, sensor