Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-19-2021, 08:41 AM   #1
[email protected]

Default 2004 GS Friendship G7 Electrical questions

Hi all,

I have an inherited 2004 GS Friendship G7. One question I have is should either shore power or Genny power charge the chassis batteries? If so, what should I check as that does not seem to be happening. They only seem to be charging when the engine is running. House batteries seem fine, though I know they are getting quite old at this point.

Second question: There is a 12V circuit that (so far) appears to supply voltage to the stairs, the front-most overhead light (switch is on that panel just inside the door as you enter the RV), cigarette lighter-type outlets (I have two on my dash), the driver's seat, the Jacks controller, and the reading lights above the captain's chairs, and strangely enough - the master bedroom hydraulic slide. Might anyone have any clue where this power comes from? What fuses/relays can I check? The issue with this circuit was intermittent for a while. I could be driving down the road and hit a bump and it would start working. Hit another bump and it would go away. Seems to have worked when it felt like it. But for about a month now it hasn't come back. I've tried to trace wires but the way things are bundled it's practically impossible without un-bundling every bundle along the way. Any pointers would be much appreciated.
soundchecklive@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:32 AM   #2
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Batteries should charge from CONVERTER/ CHARGER, or from an INVERTER/ CHARGER, and there is a circuit breaker feeding it, and FUSES Protecting the output. If it is an INVERTER/ CHARGER, you may have to have a switch ON for it to do it automatically? Or press a RESET on Inverter? and any BATTERY SWITCH must be ON. Luck

Edit: Sorry, did read it wrong, was thinking Coach batteries, so to correct, CHASSIS BATTERY (usually) can be charged by CONVERTER/ GEN/ SHORE POWER thru the BOOST Circuit/ SOLENOID. Sometimes labeled "EMER START"? Hope this helps
Old 10-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #3
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

re: #2: Sounds like bad connection at 12vdc CIRCUIT BREAKERS BY BATTERY (usually within 18" of battery?), maybe loose wire, or loose contacts internally; VOLTMETER OR 12VDC TEST LIGHT REQUIRED
Old 10-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #4
hossross

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi all,

I have an inherited 2004 GS Friendship G7. One question I have is should either shore power or Genny power charge the chassis batteries? If so, what should I check as that does not seem to be happening. They only seem to be charging when the engine is running. House batteries seem fine, though I know they are getting quite old at this point.

Second question: There is a 12V circuit that (so far) appears to supply voltage to the stairs, the front-most overhead light (switch is on that panel just inside the door as you enter the RV), cigarette lighter-type outlets (I have two on my dash), the driver's seat, the Jacks controller, and the reading lights above the captain's chairs, and strangely enough - the master bedroom hydraulic slide. Might anyone have any clue where this power comes from? What fuses/relays can I check? The issue with this circuit was intermittent for a while. I could be driving down the road and hit a bump and it would start working. Hit another bump and it would go away. Seems to have worked when it felt like it. But for about a month now it hasn't come back. I've tried to trace wires but the way things are bundled it's practically impossible without un-bundling every bundle along the way. Any pointers would be much appreciated.
I don't have the circuit diagram any more, but I don't think the chassis (engine) batteries are charged from the house side, either the generator or shore power. So I would hope someone can accurately state these function. Obviously there is a switch that you can use to connect the house batts to the chassis batts, but the two are isolated until you use the switch to activate the relay to connect them. If you have a volt meter you can easily measure the voltage at the various batteries during different power charging conditions. If you don't have one, get it. they are cheap a 12 V batt fully charged is 12.8 V, 12.0 V means the batt is approx 50% charged. When the alternator is running (motor running) batt voltage should be 13.6 volts to 15 volts, Should be the same on the house batteries via alternator, generator, or shore power.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:45 PM   #5
Dennis4809

I have the same motorhome. Chassis batteries are not charged from shore power or generator. You can add a device that will do that or you can periodically hold the switch on the dash that joins the house and chassis batteries. I just slip something small behind the switch to keep it engaged. Charge for a few hours then remove.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote