Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-11-2022, 03:38 AM   #1
yayme9

Default Door stuck

We have a 2006 Super-C. The screws that hold in the door lock in have become loose, thereby essentially jamming our door shut. We took off the back panel from the inside of the coach, and it's not easily visible where to access these screws nor how to just rip this entire door lock off to be able to open the door. Any suggestions or experience on how to remedy this or are we just stuck using the driver or passenger doors until we get a blowtorch or something? We looked at pulling the pins out of the hinges, but they seem to have a large metal piece at the bottom that prevents you from pulling up on the pins. Any advice welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220411_013802.jpg (214.0 KB, 6 views)
yayme9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:42 PM   #2
LTC_R

I had this happen as well on my 6400. Luckily, a friend traveling with me owns an RV Store and campground and told me how to get it open. You will need to get a replacement latch and have it ready to put in once you get the door open, because once open, you won't have any way to secure the door. I've attached a photo with an arrow. The arrow points to a spot where the handle you rotate to open the door actuates a lever (made out of cheap pot metal which is what broke). You will need a narrow flat regular screwdriver to move the lever to the left (front of RV). That will release the latch and you can open the door. Once open, there are 2, or 3, phillips head screws in the door that hold the latch mechanism in. Once those screws are out, you should be able to work the mechanism out of the door. Installing the new latch is a fairly simple reverse of the removal. Hope this helps. [IMG]/Volumes/FlashDrive/MH_Stuff/DoorLatch/DoorLatch.001.jpeg[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DoorLatch.001.jpeg (345.1 KB, 9 views)
2008 JK Unlimited toad
LTC_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 10:59 PM   #3
yayme9

I absolutely understand exactly what you're saying. Really perfect explanation, actually! I did manage to get that latch moved to the left, but the door still doesn't open. 😖 We broke it trying to get the dumb door open in the first place. Those screws you're talking about that hold the lock in place became loose just enough when shutting the door that one is sticking out right now, effectively preventing us from opening the door at all.

I think we're going to try just drilling the hell out of the plastic housing until it comes apart and we can get the problematic screw removed.

I just knew we had suffered a totally freak event -- I can't find any other documented case of this happening to anyone else anywhere in the entire internet lol

(((goes to buy a lottery ticket)))

Very much appreciate all the assistance, though!!!
yayme9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:27 AM   #4
pwerwagn

My 05 6316 Super C did this as well. When I bought it, I thought the latch was broke, as is typical for that latch. Come to find out, one of the screws holding the latch in place in the jamb had backed out while driving and stuck into a hole like yours did. Due to the style of the striker bolt, you cant pry the door away from the jamb (unless those bolts are loose too). I ended up doing similar to what you are thinking, and I drilled holes in the outside of the latch, guessing where those screws were. The screws were short enough that they dont protrude far enough into the door to access from the latch area, so I ended up having to drill 2 holes in the actual door itself and pry the screws back towards the latch, and then later filled the holes with white silicon.

Tags
door, lock