Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-18-2021, 09:34 AM   #1
KPMullen

Default 2007 Tour Master Overheating Issue

With just 50,000 miles on it, my 14-year-old T40-C (MBE 900 330 HP) is presenting with overheating issues. I power washed the radiator to make sure it wasn't packed with dirt. No improvement. I replaced both thermostats but the condition persisted so I replaced the radiator. Yup, still throwing codes (220 degrees) on even the most gentle of hills and even just highway grades.
I'd hate to think after all this it might be the simplest (and cheapest) of options... the sending unit/sensor or the dash gauge.
Has anyone else experienced this and if so what (if anything) caused/corrected it?
Thanks in advance (I hope).

Kevin
KPMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:04 AM   #2
riverofcode

I had an overheating issue with my 2008 T40c. Turned out to be a fan clutch failure. See my thread over in the iRV2 site. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/fan-...26-511817.html

I replaced my clutch with a spacer and new fan.

2008 Tour Master T40c
2014 Honda CRV toad
riverofcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:08 AM   #3
KPMullen

Thanks, Scott. The fan clutch tested fine but obviously, something still isn't right. Kevin
Old 07-25-2021, 09:22 AM   #4
miked

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPMullen View Post
Thanks, Scott. The fan clutch tested fine but obviously, something still isn't right. Kevin
mine was the air filter
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
proost

Quote:
Kevin,

When you tested the fan clutch, was that a running test where you actually hear it cycle on and off? I have a T-40A and it ran hot as well. The fan clutch was dead but still had issues after it was replaced. Turned out it was a bad relay next to the fan clutch. There are even relays on the 12 V panel on the curb rear of the coach.

Does it also run hot parked, flat and level driving, and/or hills?
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:32 PM   #6
KPMullen

Phil,

It was a running fan clutch test. It only runs hot on inclines/hills. Cools off in seconds as soon as I stop climbing, on the downhill, level, or when parked.

Kevin

2007 Tour Master T40-C
2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

Full-timer
Old 07-26-2021, 10:08 AM   #7
proost

Quote:
Phil,

It was a running fan clutch test. It only runs hot on inclines/hills. Cools off in seconds as soon as I stop climbing, on the downhill, level, or when parked.

Kevin
Weird, it seems like you hit everything you need to. You replaced the radiator, the fan clutch is working and the thermostats are installed and I assume tested and correct.

On cleaning the cooling stack, I'm assuming you are 100% certain that there isn't still debris/dirt in there? I cleaned mine out with a pressure washer (safely) after I ran on 10mi of dirt road construction and started running hot again. Got out a lot - a LOT - but it was still running hot. Took it in to an Oasis Network (RV friendly) Freightliner shop and then had to steam clean it for 45 minutes until the water ran clear. THAT worked. Even though you got in there to swap the radiator, could it be possible that there was more gunk in there by the other coolers?
Old 01-23-2022, 10:00 AM   #8
KPMullen

Default 2007 Tour Master Overheating Issue- Solved

Forgive me for not closing out this thread.

I took it into another Freightliner dealer where I was camping this summer. They determined the fan clutch was NOT working and replaced it.

Since then I have traveled south to my winter site in Florida with absolutely no overheating issues whatsoever.

It was, as I suspected from the outset based on the symptoms, the fan clutch. I wish I had some recourse against the Fargo Freightliner dealer that claimed to test it and got me for new thermostats and a radiator.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Kevin

2007 Tour Master T40-C
2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

Full-timer
Old 01-23-2022, 01:32 PM   #9
proost

Quote:
Forgive me for not closing out this thread.

I took it into another Freightliner dealer where I was camping this summer. They determined the fan clutch was NOT working and replaced it.

Since then I have traveled south to my winter site in Florida with absolutely no overheating issues whatsoever.

It was, as I suspected from the outset based on the symptoms, the fan clutch. I wish I had some recourse against the Fargo Freightliner dealer that claimed to test it and got me for new thermostats and a radiator.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Kevin
You might have some recourse! I would contact Freightliner via their 24/7 number and discuss with them. After they installed my fan clutch incorrectly and didn’t swap out that relay, the redo on the fan clutch with the relay cost me nothing. $3500 saved! Edit: it cost that much because of the troubleshooting the second facility had done assuming the other work was still good.