Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class C
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-02-2021, 12:51 AM   #1
wchoe

Default Suburban SF-25 Furnace not Igniting

I have a 2008 Gulfstream Vista Mini Cruiser with a Suburban SF-25 Furnace.
When I set the Thermostat, the Fan comes on, and there is a clicking sound after 15 sec delay, but the furnace does not ignite, even though there is a smell of propane. The clicking sound is repeated twice, and after that the Fan shuts down.

An RV Tech has briefly looked at it while I was on the road, and has checked that the control-board is not the issue.

Please let me know if anyone knows why this may be happening.

Thanks
wchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:07 AM   #2
Yukon Jack

My first thought is the high voltage wire fit ignition is shorting out at another point other than the gas flow tube. What you describe sounds like it is electricly working properly. You need to see the spark and where it is striking. It could be right on the circuit board.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:19 AM   #3
Yukon Jack

I thought of another possibility. Insects or nests in gas tube. I had spiders in my water heater gas tube and the gas would not go out past the igniter. I smelled gas but world not light. I kept trying and now I know how some RVs have burn marks up the side from water heater. I periodically run a flex brush through the tube.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:10 AM   #4
wchoe

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't have the experience of taking out the Furnace and opening it up to check for the electrical short or clean out the burner.

If I take it to an RV Tech, they will probably charge 2-3 hours of labor which is $300-450 to diagnose the problem. Parts can be another $150 on top.

Since the Furnace is 13 years old and have been known to fail, perhaps better to replace with a newer one?
wchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:30 AM   #5
Bstewrt

Try the sail switch
Bstewrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #6
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

First thought is check for nests in outside air tube restricting air flow, or low battery= low fan speed? Either will kill spark
Old 09-12-2021, 10:25 AM   #7
Bstewrt

I have a vintage cruiser trailer. My furnace went out on a 29f morning. EZ fix was to try tapping the sail switch. Wahzoo, it's working. Would run fine until the next morning. Than fan on ran for 20 second a click, no gas. Shutdown of fan. Tapped the switch bodred right fired right up. Got a new sail switch, $13.50. Working fine till this am. Same thing. A year and a half later. Goods luck
Bstewrt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace