Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-25-2021, 11:12 AM   #1
londa716

Default Battery power/electrical issue

Hi, we just purchased a 2009 Amerilite 21MB and the refrigerator, furnace, and interior lights do not work when the battery is disconnected or dead even though we are connected to shore power. Any ideas on how to fix this or is this normal?
londa716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:21 PM   #2
FL_Matt

although not as familiar with your exact model, my last TT was a starcraft AR-ONE, and when the battery was disconnected for replacement, the interior lights and furnace did not work even though shore power was connected. As soon as the new battery was connected, the lights came on. The systems are interconnected in weird ways, so try reconnecting the battery. It may require a house battery to be connected for those devices to function.
FL_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:13 PM   #3
dan596

Default Inverter on?

Another possibility: With my 2005 GS Voyager, when connected to shore power I still need to have my inverter turned on for it to provide the AC (shore power) to DC (12v battery power) conversion.

For better feedback you might want to be specific about which battery you are talking about. Most RVs have atleasts two batteries : 1) Chassis battery = to the battery that powers your engine and things like driving lights, blinkers, cab heat/ac, etc. 2)Coach battery = separate battery, or bank of batteries used to power the 'home' lights, Refrigerator, etc. when the engine is not running. Depending on which one you are talking about will change how this gets diagnosed.
dan596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:29 PM   #4
Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan596 View Post
Another possibility: With my 2005 GS Voyager, when connected to shore power I still need to have my inverter turned on for it to provide the AC (shore power) to DC (12v battery power) conversion.

For better feedback you might want to be specific about which battery you are talking about. Most RVs have atleasts two batteries : 1) Chassis battery = to the battery that powers your engine and things like driving lights, blinkers, cab heat/ac, etc. 2)Coach battery = separate battery, or bank of batteries used to power the 'home' lights, Refrigerator, etc. when the engine is not running. Depending on which one you are talking about will change how this gets diagnosed.
Shore power supplies 12v power to your battery which powers your coach 12v needs. If you disconnect your battery you lose the 12v power to the coach.
You need to have your battery hooked up to complete the 12v feed to the coach.
that should solve your problem.
Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #5
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

NOT normal, there is a 30a (40a? varies w/ model) MAIN FUSE between CONVERTER AND FUSE PANEL. The Other MAIN FUSE is between battery/ fuse panel, but sounds like that one is good? (Often labeled "REVERSE POLARITY). There is also a 120vac Breaker Feeding the CONVERTER? SOME BRANDS of Converter may have a RESET button? Someone may have put battery backwards, and blown both fuses, but only replaced the one? EDIT: You DO want Battery Switch=ON when plugged in so that Battery is charged/ charging. TIP: Charged battery will NOT Freeze, DEAD battery will freeze/ break.