Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
Toddanddebbi

Default Considering buying a 2002 friendship rv

Newbie looking to buy a 2002 friendship diesel coach. We are wondering if anybody out there with this model has any advice of potential problem areas to keep a look out for, or what they like about these coaches. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time..
Toddanddebbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
Dennis4809

Default Re: Considering buying a 2002 friendship rv

We enjoy ours. Major selling point was the floor plan. Wife likes the kitchen and we like the two separate living areas. I'm up for 2 or 3 hours after she goes to bed. Separate areas make for quiet sleeping even with the tv on in the LR.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Steve48

I bought a 2001 Friendship in 2007 with 12,000 miles, Cummins diesel. Love it! My first time owning a RV, rented two before a gas & diesel. The Gas was under powered and trucks passing would blow you off the road almost.
I have put some money in upgrades like in-motion satellite, flat screen TV, TV downstairs with radio, speakers, new carpet, re-caulk the roof, new tires, tune-up, front end alignment, new batteries and such.
The coach runs good and I like driving it, would do at again no regrets.
Steve48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
03heritagerider

Love ours, but looking to downsize. Got an '03 for sale if you're interested.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
RayHarkness

I talked to a Gulfstream dealer...repair department like these older units. We have a Scenic Cruiser, 2002. We like it..ITS A BEAST.
but............and I s uspect same on yours...it has the dumbest roof setup known to man. The center fiberglass roof area, does NOT go all the way over the edges or side of the coach. It stops, then a "cap" is rolled up from side, and joined to the main roof panel. Some brilliant scientist at Gulfstream designed a metal strip that goes over this seam, about 1" wide, with rivets down holding the joint together. The strip cause puddeling, and water does not run off the roof. Lots of little leak problems, sealed it. Finally went over the entire seam system with an Eternabond 4" strip, totaly covering that seam and the strip. May want to check that. Dumb..other then that, love the coach, and have found Gulfstream to be cooperative in the past with questions, even though they dont' do motorhomes anymore.
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:34 AM   #6
Tom_09

Nice post
Tom_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #7
03heritagerider

We srarted to develop some leaks above the windshield this winter, especially during some of those heavy Gulf Coast storms. I'll do the eternabond when we get home. In the meantime, I went to Home Depot and bought 4 cans of clear Flex Seal (the "As Seen on TV" stuff. Went around entire roof seam and all vents and anywhere the factory put their sealer. Found lots of cracks. Been through several heavy rains since with no leaks.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
RayHarkness

I think some of this is normal and develops with age etc. I would worry that flexseal won't work very long...the UV might eat it up. But sounds like it bought you some time. I think what I found, and my "associate" Raychez here..is there is a strip that goes across that front cap, that rolls up over the roof. I found cracks along that, and the real problem alwasy becomes, that water can TRAVEL. I had used some Dicor calking along the strip, from front area, along the starboard! right driver side. I was parked at Disney, and AC units were walking.next thing I knew I was getting water dripping down from the top of the window inside. (on top of table.) that sealant I put on, had cracked along this same strip I talk about, and worked its way down thru. I bought some time. Raychez talked about Eternabond. I have found various producst and found some in a local store. it has a white surface on top.and its sticky as all get out. Clean up along both sides of that strip. (its 4inch wide..you can get 6, but 4 is good) I used windex to clean where I was putting it down. Then I used a Compass with pencil, measured how wide I wanted it on the inside of that strip, on main roof portion. Then I just drew a rough pencil line, all along the area I was applying. That way I had a rough guieline to work along. I would start it..CAREFULLY.this stuff sticks QUICK...and almost impossible to restart. I then went along that line, starting on the inside, pulling off the backing tape about one foot at a time...work it along that line, and get it placed first on the inside main roof area....then worked it up over that raised edge. Just keep working it along to the front. I would concentrate on the inside edge, because thats where the water is coming from. Get it in place...laying it up over the LIP, lightly as I went along. Then, go back, push it solid on inside, and rolling it over the edge tighter, pushing it down. I THEN used my wifes Roller for the kitchen. PUsh it down from the inside out, and up over the edge, to the outside. I did get a small roller at a wallpaper store. I would roll down any other spots, get it as pressed down as I could. I was pleased how it came out, by roughly following my pencil line, and it looks good. Its all white now, and looks like it was done commercially. I have NOT had it in a significant rain like we get down here, but I think I took care of the problem. I have done both sides. I did across the back, actually double covered across the back, and worked across front, doing smaller pieces overlapping, working under the air horns.....I think I have it good. I almost also going to go around my roof vents, and around fridge vent better. This stuff sticks good. My hat off to RayChez for figuring this fix out. I took my time. I got pretty good at pulling the backing off, about a foot at a time, working it along that edge, "rolling" it over that strip edge, getting it in place. It did wrinkle some, but when I went back with roller, using the small roller I was able to work down those wrinkles..and using the big roller sealed it all done really tight. its stuck..it ain't going anyplace. if I have a wreck,,,I bet it would keep the coach together in one piece!!!! at least the roof will be left standing!!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #9
RayChez1

Friendship is a nice coach. Have several friends in our club that own them. Coaches made in that period of time were made pretty good. I have a 2002 Scenic Cruiser which I bought new in April of 2003, and it has been a good coach. I have done some things to it like applying Eternabond on all the seams on the roof. I hated getting up there once a year to caulk, so I solved the problem of ever having a leak. I have sixty thousand miles on it now and it is just getting broke in. The engine runs so smooth and I like that.

Good luck with your FriendShip coach and go out and enjoy it. Don't buy a coach and just have it parked for months at a time. It is not good for the coach, and it is a waste of money because these coaches are made to be driven.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:25 AM   #10
RayHarkness

RayChez my partner in crime..(we actually have the same coach, except I have a Cummins) and I trade notes routinely. We have discussed things specific to our coach.
Now.I had service done once with a local truck service shop. He said if NOTHING ELSE, drive it once a month, and run it good. Don't just take it around the block, run it...heat things up..use the brakes hard, and run all the AC units. I had ours in storage..and went out after a few months, and the comperessors came on in the AC units, but the fan wouldn't kick on. Thus, learned my lesson. Run that Genset, and make it purr hard. Load it up....best advice I had. AND, there is a thought out there, that running it and warming the tires up, keeps them more healthy. I don't know where you park it, but I store it inside, and its on concrete. Local tire shop that did service, said park it on some pads. Don't leave the tires on the concrete, as it also draws out moisture and can, overtime, cause the tires to deteriorate...So..guess what..I have it on "WELCOME" pads....heheh...

my next project is replacing the tires. I know my partner in crime out in California has Toyos on now.I can't find a local TOYO dealer and hate the thought of that big buck Michelin bill I am looking at...I just need to get over and get some ideas and options. Its sad, because the tread level is amazingly deep, but sidewalls will soon be the problem. UV ....is a problem.

My suggestion is to find somebody else that has the same coach. RayChez and I compare notes on things or problems we have. It has helped a lot. Sometimes its an easy fix, or he may have fixed a problem already. We trade this information back and forth. Now that Gulfstream does NOT make motorhomes anymore..we are on our own, but bascically, they are all the same. The Chassis manufacturer is the main key here, the rest of the stuff is pretty much used by everybody else. Same water heater, fridge etc..most of that stuff can be repaired by local quality rv repair people. I ran into a problem with air loss, and had to go to Freightliner for that..turns out it was only the air horn solenoid up in the front, that was an easy ultimate fix.

dn't be afraid to ask the room. Here is the mother load!!!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #11
Toddanddebbi

Thanks all for the tips and replies, you gave me some good advice and things to look at we are moving forward with the purchase and will ad a post if it all comes thru. Ps will be using coach a lot as wife and I plan on being full timers. Thanks again for all replies .. TW
Toddanddebbi is offline   Reply With Quote