Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-26-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
jdavis

Default Full wall slide problem on 2008 Tourmaster

We are new to RVing. Would sure like to hear any suggestions. Our full wall slide is not coming out. The smaller slide is working correctly. Have tried all troubleshooting ideas that I know of. Slide has been fine till now. Breaker has been checked, fuse has been checked. Cannot locate motor for slide-out which might be worth looking into. Thanks for anything you may offer.
jdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
Arthur Hayes

Over the past year my slide has failed to respond a few times, and every time it had been due the switch under the driver's seat. Move the seat back and forward and try to exercise the switch. Works for me.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #3
rdlamb

Default Trip to dealer

Hi:
Moving the drivers chair may be the problem, but I'd be surprised. The hydralic power used to move the slide would tear out your wood trip on that side if it catches against your chair. I'm not aware of any inhibitor switch to prevent such a disaster.

I seriously recommend you take your coach to the dealer and have this diagnosed. I have the smaller slide on my Tour Master, but the mechanism is similar to yours. There are a lot of mechanisms that need to operate correctly when a slide moves. Also, the floor must move over the chassis floor. Any catching or draging there will stop the operation of the slide. With the new super slide, I'd worry that a sag in the floor is the cause of your problem.
Best wishes
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
Arthur Hayes

Rick, your unit has the same switch under the drivers seat located at the left rear. It is there to prevent the slide from contacting the seat. The seat must be completely forward to activate the switch.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Old 09-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
Arthur Hayes

Rick, your unit has the same switch under the drivers seat located at the left rear. It is there to prevent the slide from contacting the seat. The seat must be completely forward to activate the switch.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Old 09-30-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
Arthur Hayes

Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Old 09-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
rdlamb

Default Thanks Art

I have (knock on my wooden head), so far not tried to actuate the slide without first moving my seat forward. Hopefully that will solve the current member's problem.

But, I did have the L trim dragging during slide operation. I had the dealer fix this problem. Said dealer told me that the floor of the slide is minimally designed and prone to sag. That will drag the center of the slide during movement.

My worry is that documentation of a slide problem is critical to obtaining service, or compensation, if the slide fails after the warrenty expires.

Again, thanks for the info.
Best wishes
Rick

Old 09-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
rdlamb

Default Engine performance

Art:
I know this is not the subject of this line of posts, but I am interested in the performance of your Mercedes engine.

I have the 400 ISL Cummins. Unfortunately, it was within the seriel number range of engines that were blowing their connecting rods due to improperly manufactured bearings.

We just had the engine completely rebuilt by Cummins, under a campaign program.

The engine went from 7.5 mpg to 6.3 mgp. Which is where we started with the previous engine, when it was new. I expect to watch the milage increase as the new parts break in.

But, I met an enlightened retiree who just purchased a new 2008 TM, with the Mercedes engine. He tells me he is getting 14 mpg, with less than 5,000 miles on the coach. Both of us being old military retirees forced me to call .... er..... baloney. But, he stuck to his claim.

So, what is your experience?

Also, does your TM have a Converter for the coach batteries located under your bed?
Have you any opinion on the 6 volt inverter batteries?

I changed both to Optimas. Went to 4 Optima 12 volt deep cycle (blue top) on the inverter and 2 yellow top for the coach. I've not replaced the starting batteries as they are maintenence free.

Thanks Art.
Best wishes for your travels.
Rick

Old 09-30-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
Arthur Hayes

Rick I have kept fuel records from the beginning, only 11,000 miles so far, and I am getting 8.7 MPG which also agrees with the Freightliner information center. The coach weighs just under 35000 lbs with full tanks and water.
The converter is under the bed and I still have original batteries. I do use a Battery minder plus ( I think that is the correct name) for the engine batteries when I am parked for any length of time. Otherwise they will go dead in about a month.
I have not noticed the slide floor sagging so far, and I hope I never do.

Happy Motoring
Art
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Old 10-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #10
rdlamb

Default Thanks

I thought my leg was being pulled.

I bored a 3/4" hole through the wall between my batteries and my power cord. I plug my battery Mind-er into the outlet used for the engine heater. A rubber gromet lines the hole. The battery Mind-er cable goes through easily. I keep it hooked up all the time. Oh, I used velcro on the Mind-er and the outlet to keep things together.

The engine batteries are always charged, fresh, and ready to start the old Cummins.

Thanks again Art.
Best Wishes
Rick