Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
MLynch

Default TourMaster TV set-up

I've got an '08 Tourmaster and we're in the middle of a break-in trip. We're trying to basically get the bugs worked out and figure out the ins and outs prior to the big trip this summer. So far, so good. We've got issues with the electric jacks; however, Dick Gore's RV World in St. Augustine has pegged the issue and has ordered the new parts....for now, I've got to operate the jacks in manual mode (I could have bigger issues). The biggest issue this trip is that all seven of our kids have puked at some point within the past few days (you can never predict when a bug is going to hit the family....sometimes at the least opportune moments). Needless to say, this is one trip that will provide lasting memories; if not for the kids, especially for me and my wife.

One of the things that I have not been able to figure out, and I feel like an idiot for admitting it, is how to get the darn TVs to work when hooked up to cable. It seems as though the TVs are hooked up to a Smart Source unit that enables the TVs to feed off of the video signal from the DVD player. No problem with that. The kids are watching a movie right now.

I hooked up the cable to the input that's near my shore line reel. When I go to program the cable line-up in to the front TV, it doesn't recognize the cable signal at all. In the bedroom, I'm able to program the cable line-up; however, the signal is terrible. Out of 50 or so programmed channels, there are probably 3 that are watchable. Since all of the TVs are mounted in the cabinetry, I'm unable to see how things are hooked up. Once again, it appears as though the front TV doesn't have a cable hooked up at all.

I know that this is probably a basic question for this forum, but we haven't been at the RV game for long. Any advice is much welcomed. We have an '08 Tourmaster T40F. If there's a magic button that I need to push just let me know (you guys have helped me to find the magic button before).

Thanks again for any pointers.

Best regards,
Mike
MLynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
RJ82much

I don't know why, but tip #1 might be to turn off the red light for the antenna amplifier. Mine is located in the entertainment cabinet wall. I'm remembering there is a button as part of that wall-plate assembly. That may just be the "magic button" you seek.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
hyall

I found that the open air antenna booster is just that- for the roof antenna and the out side coaxial connection near the power reel or electric cord is controlled by the switch box above the Sony amp stereo component. the switcher is labeled TV 1,2,3 and 4 make sure the power is on to the box and for cable, program your TV for cable you should get all the cable channels as we do
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Texas TC

I hope it is as simple as having your AV box on the right input and the antenna booster signal off for cable. However, under warranty, my dealer had to rework all the coaxial cable ends and replace my bedroom TV before I could make mine work without getting a terrible picture. The front TV always worked good on all input (cable, antenna, and in-motion satellite dish I had installed when I bought the coach). You might want to have your dealer check out the cable ends on your coach.

The next problem will be when the TV signals all go digital. The new TV installed in the bedroom is digital ready. However, the front TV which was installed in my '08 coach is LCD but not digital ready. I picked up one of those digital converter boxes at Radio Shack and installed it for the digital service on my front TV. I went ahead and did it now because I found out with the rear TV 1) the reception from the antenna is much better and 2) there are more channels being broadcast in digital than analog. Most all areas give you a local weather channel option on digital.

Good luck.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:38 PM   #5
rdlamb

Mike:

There are two hookups that are possible for a cable connection. If the 08 TM is the same as my 07, then in the compartment with the electrical cord is a couple of boxes for connecting the cable. One is for an external satellite dish, the other is for cable. The labels on mine were loose, and fell off. If you hook cable up to the satellite line, the system will not work.

You have a switch box located in your entertainment center compartment. The box needs to be plugged in. Hopefully all of the inputs are correctly hooked up, but mine were not and required several trips to the dealer for correction.

Safe travels.
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote