Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
LTC_R

Default SN 6400 Batteries - Which is Chassis, which is coach

I just purchased a 2008 SN 6400 a month ago, what a great upgrade from my 1996 micro Mini C on a Toyota chassis. I love this thing but it isn't starting well. Everytime I go to start it, I have to use the emergency start to kick in the coach batteries to assist in getting it started. I went to have the batteries checked, and the guy, not much help, said he wouldn't be able to look into it for a week or two - I don't think he really wanted to get involved in what he could tell was going to be a project. I am not sure which 2 batteries are for the Coach, and which 2 are for the chassis. I am getting educated fairly quickly on electrical systems, but would really appreciate any ideas on which are which. From tracing the wiring, I really can't tell, once it goes into the mystery black wire covers. Is it the front two or the rear two? Thanks in advance for any ideas, help, and past experiences.

I suspect I will become a frequent visitor to this forum site, lots of great people out there. Thanks in advance.
2008 JK Unlimited toad
LTC_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
LabCab

Default Re: SN 6400 Batteries - Which is Chassis, which is coach

Not a problem really. When you look at the battery compartment there should be 2 sets.

Looking at the batteries you will see one set has the "normal" looking cables on it. THAT IS THE COACH>

The other set you will note has a "connector fuse" set up on top. This is the engine. That Fuse is very important.
If you looke back in prior posts you'll see it is the culperit for "No Starts".

On our 6263, the battery compartment is on the Dr side 1st comartment. the set of batteries to the left are the coach.
next to them are the 2 engine. Hope this helps. Any othe questions back channel me. Fred
Old 05-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
LTC_R

Thanks for the quick answer. I see the batteries on the Right (rearward) do have extra connectors and stuff on top, I'll dig in this weekend and see. Thanks for pointing me to the 'connector fuse' posts. I think I may research that more as well. The voltmeter is telling me I have an electrical drain somewhere which I suspect is the reason for the low charge on the Chassis battery, and the hard to start. Thanks again.
2008 JK Unlimited toad
Old 06-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
38Chevy454

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC_R
Thanks for the quick answer. I see the batteries on the Right (rearward) do have extra connectors and stuff on top, I'll dig in this weekend and see. Thanks for pointing me to the 'connector fuse' posts. I think I may research that more as well. The voltmeter is telling me I have an electrical drain somewhere which I suspect is the reason for the low charge on the Chassis battery, and the hard to start. Thanks again.
I have a small drain somewhere on mine also, so I just use the cutoff switch on each set of batteries when I am not using it for a while. The coach batteries do not seem to drain, but the chassis does. Just easier and makes it foolproof to open the switch on both sets.

2008 Supernova 6331
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
LTC_R

Had my 6400 in because it left me stranded at a dump station. Roadside assistance got me going with a jump and a shot of ether. Drove it directly to the international service center and they replaced the chassis batteries and traced the power drain to a loose connector on the way to the starter. Still a little slow to start but starting reliably so far. I also picked up an extra battery cable with the fuses in it just in case. Thanks for all the help.
2008 JK Unlimited toad