Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-27-2023, 02:32 PM   #1
renman43

Default Thermostat replacement

Had to replace the thermostat in my 2005 5230 bt cruiser. Had attempted to repair the old one, but it would not stay fixed. Replaced original Hunter 42999b with Supco 43054. Wall plate fit was just enough off that I needed to use the one that came with the new unit, and rewire. There is a feature that backs up the heat at 41 degrees even if turned off and batteries removed. Either have to take it off the wall for winter storage or clip a small contact on the back of the thermostat. Did that. Tested the heat and cool settings. Works fine. There is a variation in the new wiring chart at the jumper terminal that I chose to ignore. Put it as originally connected. No problem.
renman43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:23 AM   #2
Brett47

I don't understand this, "There is a feature that backs up the heat at 41 degrees even if turned off and batteries removed." I assume your furnace runs on propane, right? If the propane is turned off for storage, how can back up heat be turned on? I have a 2006 BT Cruiser.
Brett47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 01:21 PM   #3
renman43

[QUOTE=Brett47;39086]I don't understand this, "There is a feature that backs up the heat at 41 degrees even if turned off and batteries removed." I assume your furnace runs on propane, right? If the propane is turned off for storage, how can back up heat be turned on? I have a 2006 BT Cruiser.[/QUOTE

If you live in a cool climate (I am in Montana) it can and will go below 41* at night virtually any time of year. We often have to cover tomato plants etc to ward off freezing temperatures in June, and even have had the rare snowfall in July and August. So September and October can see lots of nights close to or below freezing. Turning off the gas between outings is good practice, and would certainly avoid loss of propane, though there is at least one online complaint about finding the fan running. In that case, however, the individual had left the propane on. Not sure if it would continue attempting to turn on the furnace or cause the fan to run if the propane were turned off. In any case, problem solved.
renman43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat replacement