Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-22-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
Tomahawk Teri

Default Serious troubles with brand new 2007 Gulf Stream Conquest

I am a new member to this forum. A recent post of mine at a different site resulted in a suggestion to try this site. Here goes:

In May, 2007, my husband and I bought a brand new Gulf Stream Conquest fifth-wheel camper. The problems started w/ the first weekend trip 30 miles from home. The chair that came with the camper bounced around and the foot went through the floor register AND duct, which was brilliantly designed to sit right under the chair. On a calm day, we came back to the camper and the outside vent flap was on the ground. The carpet beside the table became damp, indicating a leak (presumably from the shower). The microwave didn?t work. There were other nit-picky things, but these were the initial biggies.
We took the camper back to the dealer and they said they couldn?t find any leaks, but tightened the shower fittings. They ordered a new microwave, taped the duct and replaced the register (then put the chair back where it was originally).
Needless to say, the next excursion was a week-long trip and during the ride, the chair not only bounced through the floor vent again, but it bounced through the side window and damaged a back blind. The carpet was still getting wet, so the leak was clearly still there. In addition, the outside siding had become detached in the middle, so it was puffing out and flexing.
We took it back to the dealer again. We got considerable resistance about whether or not the dealer would cover the costs to repair the damage (broken window) due to the chair. Apparently the service manager had contacted Gulf Stream, who said that they would not cover the repair because the consumer did not secure the chair properly. Let me be clear ? there is NO other place in this camper to store this chair, it only fits in one place, and there is NO place to tie it down. We went around and around w/ the owner of the dealership, who finally said that we wouldn?t be charged for the repair. In the meantime, they replaced the window and both blinds. They also said they found the leak and repaired it. They attached an outside compartment door hanger in the middle of the siding to hold the siding down.
The next trip took about 6 days before we noticed the carpet getting wet again. By now, the bottom of the carpet was basically ruined (cracked and crumbly), which I communicated to the dealer when I contacted them to arrange for yet another repair.
We took the camper to the dealer again. They said they found another leak and fixed it.
We took another trip. The very first time we used the shower, the carpet was wet - again. You can imagine my frustration. My husband got under the camper while the shower was running and saw a stream of water coming out of the bottom. (Apparently, the service staff at the dealer didn?t bother to check this??) They had also cut a hole in the wall behind the mirror to access the shower linkages. (The wall is a 1/8? thick piece of plywood and they made new holes for the mirror hangers, and I?m just wondering how long that?s going to stay on the wall and how soon I?ll be forced to stare at a gaping hole in my interior wall) The carpet is trashed by now and I can just imagine what the wood underneath looks like. I expressed my concern to the dealer when I told him about the problems.
We took the camper to the dealer again. This time, my husband stayed there and showed them where the water was running out. He was told that it was now due to the shower stall separating from the interior wall. He was told that they would order a new shower stall and in the meantime, they caulked it, because my husband needed it for another trip in the interim.
The carpet was wet on the first day. He also noticed that the material from the couch (which was only stapled to the wood) had pulled loose and was no longer attached to the frame. The metal foot for the couch (when it pulled out to become a bed) was bent (it was used as a bed 5 times for a 180 pound man).
He?s on his way home from this most-recent trip and I don?t know what to do. I?m so sick of the shoddy construction of this brand-new Gulf Stream, words can?t describe it. I don?t want to keep going back and forth to the dealer until our warranty runs out and they refuse to fix it. I have calculated that we have traveled over 1000 miles going back and forth to the dealer for these repairs ? with diesel at close to $3/gallon, this is getting to be quite costly (not to mention stressful and inconvenient).
I understand there are no lemon laws for campers in Pennsylvania. The Staff at Martinsburg RV Expo have been very pleasant and have tried to accommodate our busy schedule to repeatedly fit in all these repairs; but basically, I want our money back. We saved a long time and paid a great deal of money for this new camper and now, even if they do ever get the leak repaired ( wild assumption), we?re stuck w/ a gaping hole in my interior wall behind a mirror that I know isn?t going to stay hung, a duct that is patched w/ tape, carpet that is ruined (and will probably smell soon), probably considerable damage to the underlying structure, a couch with a gap between the material and the wood frame and a bent leg and an outside cabinet door holder hanging randomly in the middle of the side of my camper.
Has anyone else had such troubles w/ Gulf Stream quality?
I spoke w/ the dealer and they expressed concern and he worked hard to squeeze us in yet again when my husband returns home. He said they will take pictures of all the problems and send them to Gulf Stream to see what they can do. I asked him if it was possible to get our money back or to trade this one in for another new one, with better construction. He basically said that they don?t do that, but that he?d work with us to resolve the problems.
However, resolving these problems would entail stripping the camper down and starting over ? and I?m not convinced that if they did that, it would be as good as new (should be).
Can anyone help??
Tomahawk Teri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Timothy

I suggest you forward this to John Smith at Gulf Steam, he is the towables warranty person and was very helpful when I had problems.
his email is [email protected].
On a side note what model Conquest do you have? Also dealer should have instructed you on proper storage for the chair when towing after the first incident. You might want to look at your axles and spring hangers and make sure they are aligned, sounds like your trailer is riding rougher then it should be, look at the tires on both sides and see if the distance is the same on both sides.
Good luck and let us know how this works out.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
Kathy

Send a message via MSN to Kathy Send a message via Yahoo to Kathy

Watch your tub floor also. We had to put extra support under ours. We have a 2000 conquest. When we first bought ours Mr. Smith was a great help. We have since replaced the inverter and had to fix the slide seal 2 times. So keep an eye on these things also. Good Luck.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #4
Coolbreeze

I haven't had much fun with mine and I would call and e-mail John Smith and one of his assitants is Pam Larrison.

I most certainly would start off communications via phone and then e-mail to start a paper trail.

I would also start to talk to both the dealer and Gulfstream about complete repair to your satisfaction or replacement. The water leaks are completely out of hand and so it this bit about the tin siding coming off. Clearly un-acceptable. I just don't get the chair issue but if the vent actually falls through the floor to the under belly then that is yet another totally un-acceptable issue.

Be nice, give them a chance but also be firm and make them show you the repairs to your satisfaction.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
coolchas11

Teri, any response from GS? I surely hope we don't hear about a long run around from everyone. Please keep us posted. Charlie
Old 12-06-2007, 03:30 AM   #6
RUDY PANTOJA

Default Tomahawk Teri

Inregards to your input on GS quality, I am and have been having the same problems on my GS. I bought a 07 GS ENDURA 29May07, please read by post under "Class C" 07ENDURA Lemon". Even after calling GS yesterday, I still never received a follow up call from them or my dealer/service dealer.. corrections that were suppose to be in June(2wks after buying, still to date have not been corrected, or have not been corrected (correctly). We too spent alot of money on our RV. Should of stayed with my less expensive Keystone Sprinter, Bought it new never any problems (the usual wear/tear). No probs with the 5th a Kit we owned and a Lance camper... GS is the Lemon, At least on this Unit, Service by dealer and GS is very sad. Believe my I am ready to put out an article in the local newspaper and call the TV and let the public know who this companies are. Even thinking of calling our attorney...
Good luck, please give me an update on our RV.
rudy
RUDY PANTOJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
by8s

In addition to the advise you have received I suggest you familiarize yourselves with the lemon laws in your state.
Bob
by8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #8
Tomahawk Teri

Default Follow-up to Serious Troubles w/ 2007 Conquest

Sorry for the delay in updating everyone - you've all been very helpful and mostly supportive and I appreciate it. But other than to post my multiple calls to the dealer to check on the status of the trailer repairs (it was dropped off to them on 10/29/07 and I called them regularly December and January), there was nothing tangible to report and I didn't want to waste your time posting my frustration w/ nothing concrete to discuss.

When we dropped off the unit in October, we went over in detail each and every problem we had w/ it (the list was pages long). The dealer took multiple pictures and sent them to the manufacturer (Mike Ward) to determine what could be done.

The repairs were 'completed' in mid-January. Rather than replace the shower stall (they determined that it was leaking between the shower stall and the wallboard), they somehow re-attached the shower stall better. I don't know exactly what they did, to be honest, I just know that they chose not to replace the shower. They also worked on the myriad of other smaller issues. There was no one available to discuss any of the repairs when my husband picked the unit up, so we we just told it was ready to go.

Because of the weather, we weren't able to use the unit until the end of March. Based on a four-day trip, the major leak seems to be fixed - no wet carpet, so we're very happy about that (perhaps temporarily). However, the water pump kicked on in the middle of the night when there was no water usage, so we knew there was yet another leak somewhere. The service techs had already cut a hole in the wall behind the shower (and covered w/ a mirror), so we took down the mirror and there was water leaking down the back-end of the faucet. Not a steady stream, but a leak nonetheless.

In addition, the audio on the DVD player kept kicking in and out intermittently (which was one of the myriad of items we noted previously).

A phone call to the dealer resulted in him shipping us a new shower valve and a DVD, which we received last week. My husband installed both of these yesterday and so far we've seen no leaks in the shower, but the new DVD player won't read some DVD's(which were loaded w/ no problems on the 'old' DVD player, so it's not a DVD problem).

I spoke w/ the dealer this morning, and he's going to look into a new DVD for us...

Ironically, I received a customer satisfaction survey from Gulf Stream last week and am not sure how to respond nicely...

So, bottom line is that this unit continues to be a problem and I'd love it if Gulf Stream would just replace the entire unit with a new one with no problems - we haven't even had the trailer for a year yet, so I'm wondering what else we have to look forward to.

With frustration,
Teri
Tomahawk Teri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
Jim

Default shower

gulfstream took the cheap way out and put in the two piece shower. we had older yellowstone fifth wheel's and they had a nice one piece fiberglass shower. in 08 they went cheap. they also use the cheap showers in class c and lower end class a motor homes.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
luizsu6y7

Watch your tub floor also. We had to put extra support under ours. We have a 2000 conquest. When we first bought ours Mr. Smith was a great help. We have since replaced the inverter and had to fix the slide seal 2 times. So keep an eye on these things also. Good Luck.