Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
natemoore

Default Porcelain toilet on FEMA trailer, should I change it?

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up to a minor disaster we had the first time we used our holding tanks. I didn't have time install the monitor panel and tank probes before our last camping trip, so I figured I'd keep track of the number of flushes in order know when to pull the knive valve and drain the black water tank.

However, even with a new flapper valve, the tank continued to run--almost imperceptively--and caused the toilet to overflow, flooding the trailer. Luckily, no one had used it yet, so it was just plain water, but it was a pain.

I replaced the flapper with a different color one. The tank still drained out, but this time it took a week. I'm wondering if there is not enough weight on the flapper since the water level in the tank is a lot lower than in a typical household toilet.

Other than breaking the tank lid whenever you go over a large bump, is there any compelling reason to replace the porcelain toilet with an RV style toilet?

Oh, I'm going to hook up audible alarms to the tanks, too, since the monitor panel is passive.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Old Yeller

the biggest problem is the amount of water that the household style toilet uses with each flush. A camp-style toilet is much more economical on water usage.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote