Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-05-2006, 06:45 AM   #1
rinnick

Default Toilet clogging

We own a 2002 Mako Fithwheel and love the unit with one exception. Everytime we go camping the pipe between the toilet and the holding tank plugs up and I have to put a rod down it and twist and push until it breaks free. It seems that the design of two elbows caues the clog. It almost acts like there is something like a ledge or spur catching debris and aloowing it to close off the pipe.

I have heard of other Gulfstream owners having the same problem but no one knows how to fix it. Please send any suggestions as this is really ruining our love for camping in our unit.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
earljan34

WELCOME to the forum. If you are hooked up to sewer use plenty of water, If not try flushing before or during the addition of paper. Sounds like too much paper is added at one time!

Good Luck

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
kristalleeskaggs

I understand your problem. I have a 2005 Crescendo and have been having the same problem with the toilet clogging. It is horrible and puts a bad taste on the camping trip. I have tried addtional water, less rv toilet paper but nothing seems to help. It is obviously in the design but Gulfstream has made it very clear that they will not fix the problem. My rv dealer claims they need approval from Gulfstream to make any changes. It is sad to have to continue with this problem with no support from the manufacturer. Push come to shove, I guess I will have to spend my own money to change the pipe design but I think that can become very costly. Any other suggestions out there?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
Timothy

I have a 2004 Canyon Trail and have never had this problem. My sewer pipe from the toilet has 2, 45 degree elbow between the toilet and the tank but the elbows are about 12 to 16 inches apart, is this how yours is?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:07 AM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalleeskaggs
I understand your problem. I have a 2005 Crescendo and have been having the same problem with the toilet clogging. It is horrible and puts a bad taste on the camping trip.
If it's putting a "bad taste on the camping trip", I think that might be a real problem.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Our coach also has two elbows on the waste line to the tank and we have never had a problem with clogs. We do not use RV toilet paper because with our toilet paper test we found Angel Soft will desolve much faster into almost nothing where RV TP does not.

We also start out with at least 1/2 bowl of water in the toilet when we are going to do the #2 routine, this helps with the flush. Some tanks, especially in 5th wheel and travel trailers are made with a "step" in the tank and sometimes TP and wastes will built up on this ledge up to the pipe. They require flushing off this ledge either with a built-in flushing system in the tank or a flushing wand put down thru the toilet to remove this waste built up.

Another thing to make sure that the black water tank valve is always kept closed when hooked to full hook-ups, otherwise the liquids will flow out and the solids will not and they will built up, usually right below where the entrance line from the toilet is, thus causing a clog like you are describing. Also if possible, never dump the black tank unless it is 2/3 full to help with the flow of solids out of the tank.

One thing I used to do when we had a RV without a tank flushing system was to dump a 5 gallon bucket of water down the toilet after I pulled the black tank valve and it was empty. This will flush many of the solids out of the tank and off the ledge that is built in many of the towables.

Hopefully with a little "flushing" of the tank, will cure your problem. It really sounds like built up at the line entrance is causing a clogging problem making it seem like it is the line itself. I know, because I went thru this on a 1989 TT we used to have. My dealer showed me the problem was the ledge and my dumping/flushing errors.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #6
Retird2Golf

Send a message via MSN to Retird2Golf

Yep , the 2004 SunVoyagers have the same problem. If the unit
is equipped with the flushing nozzles, clearing isn't bad. Although I have had to get things moving wit a wire coathanger.

"Necessity is the Mother of Invention"!! Plus lots of water and less TP.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
RJ82much

I made a significant observation today regarding this waste tank subject. I've wondered why I don't have flush problems. The Model 8351 has the toilet in the middle of the coach because we have a hallway against the outside wall. Toilet waste enters the tank in the middle.

The step or shelf, nowhere near our toilet inlet, is a mere 2" drop-off at the dump-valve end of the tank - the purpose of which I have no idea. I doubt this adds not much more than a gallon to the capacity.

The sensors are located at the dump end of the tanks. They are hidden behind a removable panel & quite difficult to see. As someone observed, the "Full" sensor is located more than an inch from the top. I'm guessing you could add another 8 gallons (or so) of sewage after getting the "tank full" indicator. At your own risk, of course!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:26 PM   #8
kristalleeskaggs

Default Toilet Clogging

The latest update on the toilet clogging is that my dealer has gotten an approval from GS to put an electric toilet in. Of course this whole situation has gone up the chain of command on both sides. My rig is still in the shop so whether this is the solution or not remains to be seen. I will keep you posted as Labor Day is the next outing with the new toilet. It has taken 8 months to get anything done. Geeezzz it's just down right wrong.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
GStream40
Site Team

Hope that takes care of your crappy problem.

What is an electric toilet and what does it do?

Ron
Old 08-15-2006, 03:35 PM   #10
kristalleeskaggs

Default Toilet Clogging

Ron that is a good question. Other than a quick/strong flush toilet I truly don't know. I didn't know there was such a thing but this is what the dealer says they will be installing. Stay tuned.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:13 PM   #11
gsadmin

I heard its basically a disposal connected to the bottom of the crapper ...now that would make me reconsider a state park restroom...
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:25 AM   #12
Retird2Golf

:P Holy Moley, What a great idea. I boated for many years and

all the boats I had, had an electric toilet !!!!

It had a 12 volt electric mascerator that ground up the solids and turned

them to liquids. Water is sucked in when you push the button and the

macerator sucks it out and grinds it up.

There are severval different types and styles ....... Hmmmmmmm ....

It is simalar to the kits they sell to attach to the out flow valve and use a

3/4 hose to empty. They use more water and the grinding is noisy, but not

excessive.

I would be very interested on the outcome.

Best regards, Clyde
Old 08-16-2006, 01:10 PM   #13
kristalleeskaggs

Default Toilet Clogging

Wow Clyde, very detailed explanation. It should be very interesting to say the least.

I will keep everyone posted of the outcome. I am very intrigue myself. I don't pick the coach up until Wednesday 8/30 as it has a few other issues being repaired too.

Stay tuned.

Lorraine
Old 08-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #14
GStream40
Site Team

Sort of like having a pooper blender!
Sounds like a good idea, but also sounds like an expensive possible solution. Did a search an it looks like these toilets cost $600 and up.

Keep us informed of what model they put in.

Ron
Old 08-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #15
Retird2Golf

Right!! A Super Dooper Pooper Swooper, (I had to reach WAY out

for that one !). Go to www.westmarine.com/ to see the Marine

heads . (Toilets to you land-lubbers) :P

Best Regards, Clyde
Old 08-16-2006, 05:21 PM   #16
GStream40
Site Team

WOW, You sea goers really take your poop seriously. Didn't know there were so many didn't kinds of "heads".

Ron
Old 08-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #17
Retird2Golf

And the funny part is ; they all have the same .......

END, REsult .... sorry about that ! NOT ....
Old 08-16-2006, 05:44 PM   #18
GStream40
Site Team

Guess the ones with the "Electric Heads" don't have their S^*# together.

Ron
Old 08-16-2006, 06:17 PM   #19
Retird2Golf

:P Old turds never die .... they just melt away ...

I'll stop if you will .... otherwise, IT'S A BATTLE TO THE END !!
Old 08-16-2006, 07:45 PM   #20
GStream40
Site Team

Okay, I'll quit. Wouldn't want it to go to your head! OOPS... :P

Seriously I surrender. we are getting a little thread drift going on the subject.

Ron