Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
wvjeepers

Default Winterproofing (not winterizing)

Anybody cold weather camp? My GS is parked in the WV mountains, and I'd like to be able to use it in the winter. Anybody done mods to make your GS usable (fully functioning) for a cold (avg 20*) and snowy winter?
wvjeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
03heritagerider

Default Re: Winterproofing (not winterizing)

We don't normally camp in the winter, but that is when we leave for warmer climates, so we have traveled in some nasty, cold weather.

If you have a heated basement, and a flowing water supply, you should be able to fill the fresh water tank and have water. You just won't be able to keep a hose connected.

Most people keep the gray waste valve open when connected to a sewage system. I would not recommend this as the valve could freeze open or the drain hose could clog with ice if there is a bend in it.

I would also put some extra insulation in front of the fresh water pump. On my coach, it's a little to close to the compartment door, and the outside air, for my comfort.

If your rig is equipped with an ice maker in the fridge, make sure you drain it, or get antifreeze into it. The pump and line that feeds water to the ice maker is in a ventilated compartment that is exposed to the outside air and they will be the first things to freeze and break.

Make sure you have lots of propane. And do not depend on space heaters too much. They will keep the cabin warm, but will prevent the thermostat from activating the furnace(s). If the rig's furnace(s) do not run, you can not heat the basement. Without heat in the basement, you're in for some serious water line freeze damage, and costly repairs.

Obviously you enjoy the cold weather, so have fun...I'll be in Florida
Old 09-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
Frosty

Default Re: Winterproofing (not winterizing)

Some insulation tips:

Use a cheap "egg crate" that you put on your bed or any type of foam really, and cut it into small disks. Use these disks to block off your A/C vents and prevent heat from escaping into the ceiling. I also block off my 14 x 14 vents and it makes a world of difference when it gets really cold out. Keeping the slides in creates a smaller area to heat as well. I live in Alaska and try to get in as much camping as possible and sometimes it gets a little chilly at night. Good luck