Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
J79Engine

Default 2005 SunVoyager SE 38 foot

We have only had this since January and have upgraded to a front flat screen. Digital arieal bat wing type to do away with the wind up and wind down arieal. Then we placed a small dish on the roof so we could be independent with DIRECT TV wherever we go. The awning was a mistake the dealer installed a no pitch flat out awning but we wanted a variable pitch electric model but were told to change the arms would cost 900 dollars so we live with it. At the moment it is giving us a little problem with the check engine light signal but we trust our dealer to locate the problem so it will not return a third time when we are out. Yes it is gas but for the price we could not turn it down and hope to be visiting Destin Florida and UP Michigan soon to start and then visit as many USAF and Naval bases as we can fit in starting 2013. So all the little trips now are like shake down voyages so when we decide to pull up our mail box and get on with the trip we will have confidance the coach is up to the long haul as we travel. We are getting on a bit now so the sooner the better but still working, it is more a life long love then a job, having served my Country for 22 years as a jet engine mechanic supporting the F4 Phantom-J79 engines and now working in the Aviation industry supporting the same Aircraft and engine. I have a 44 year association now with this hobby. Our goal was always to have a class A and visit the bases during part time retirement or later, earlier is better we think while we are still kids in our early 60's. Notice my side kick in the windshield looking at the camera or is it me she is thinking of!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2005 Sunvoyager SE 3 slides with 2012 toad 7-2012.JPG (122.7 KB, 4137 views)
J79Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
J79Engine

Default Re: 2005 SunVoyager SE 38 foot

Update; The dealer told us he thinks we should upgrade our fuel from regular to 92 or higher and that will stop the check engine light. We met a fellow RV person at a wedding in Philadelphia who tows a 5th wheel with his GMC truck which has the same size engine installed as we do a 8.1 Ltr. He said he had the same problem until he upgraded from Regular grade 87 Octaine to 92 Octaine then he has not had a problem since. I think adding the toad changed the need from regular grade to a higher grade fuel. So we will try this but also went out a purchased a code reader so we can decide if the code is something I need to be concerned about or just errase it!

We upgraded the front TV to digital flat screen and added a satilite dish powered by Direct TV and we also removed the crank up ariel after I riped it off twice, forgeting to crank it back down. The bat wing digital ariel fits perfect in the same area and I installed it myself with no drilling required just new roof sealer around the bat wing when installed. We had a storm up in Indiana when we attended a FMCA rally and the dish did not work but the digital bat wing ariel pulled in 4 local stations. We will replace the back four tires because they are original with new purchased Michelin tires through the FMCA program in Febraury so we are ready to attend the Georgia rally in March.

J79 Engine, USAF SNCO Ret 89
J79Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
Cakeman

Own a 2004 Sun Voyager and the check engine light was coming on. The Workhorse dealer told me the only sensors on that control that are oxygen sensors on the exhaust. Had to replace 2 of them and it went away but the check engine light came on during the next trip. I was in the mountains and turning off the overdrive for going down the hills and thought that may have caused it the second time. I explained to the dealer and they found some goofy codes but no bad sensor, did find a loose fitting on the exhaust at the manifold so they tighten. Next trip same mountains still turning od off and not light.
For what it is worth, the workhouse dealer told me that their are only 4 sensors on the exhaust system that controls the check engine light.
Cakeman
Toledo, Ohio
Cakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
Nick Badick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J79Engine

We have only had this since January and have upgraded to a front flat screen. Digital arieal bat wing type to do away with the wind up and wind down arieal. Then we placed a small dish on the roof so we could be independent with DIRECT TV wherever we go. The awning was a mistake the dealer installed a no pitch flat out awning but we wanted a variable pitch electric model but were told to change the arms would cost 900 dollars so we live with it. At the moment it is giving us a little problem with the check engine light signal but we trust our dealer to locate the problem so it will not return a third time when we are out. Yes it is gas but for the price we could not turn it down and hope to be visiting Destin Florida and UP Michigan soon to start and then visit as many USAF and Naval bases as we can fit in starting 2013. So all the little trips now are like shake down voyages so when we decide to pull up our mail box and get on with the trip we will have confidance the coach is up to the long haul as we travel. We are getting on a bit now so the sooner the better but still working, it is more a life long love then a job, having served my Country for 22 years as a jet engine mechanic supporting the F4 Phantom-J79 engines and now working in the Aviation industry supporting the same Aircraft and engine. I have a 44 year association now with this hobby. Our goal was always to have a class A and visit the bases during part time retirement or later, earlier is better we think while we are still kids in our early 60's. Notice my side kick in the windshield looking at the camera or is it me she is thinking of!
That voyager looks amazing. I wish mine was as awesome as yours. Also, pretty much surprised that not a lot of people here are sharing theirs as well.
04 crescendo 8386
autopartswarehouse
Nick Badick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
copcardrvr

Hey J79,

Thanks for your service. Fellow military retiree here too, Security Police CC, 132d FW, IA ANG. Most excellent rig! We just bought a 2004 Sun Voyager and are in the process of filling it up with stuff that has to be moved before we can go anywhere. I really like the full body paint, it makes it look like a DP. We also really like the huge aft bedroom and shower. We have a desk w/office chair and an armchair w/ottoman in the bedroom and there's still room to walk around. The shower has a curved glass door and 6'5" headroom. If I had skates on, I could do a double axle in there. Maybe we'll bump into each other on a military base sometime. I hear Sigsbee in Key West is great and has never turned anyone away. BTW, I sure miss the F-4. I used to watch them launch on night missions at Elmendorf in the early 70s. Way cool!! (but so was the ride in the backseat of an F-16D when I retired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6428.JPG (131.6 KB, 2441 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6429.JPG (128.3 KB, 2440 views)
copcardrvr is offline   Reply With Quote