Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-15-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
towerwalker

Default Cummins engine will not start

Engine started and ran smoothly for 10-12 minutes, then stalled and will not start. Cranks good but acts as if it is out of fuel. Fuel tank level is slightly over a half a tank.
towerwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Cummins engine will not start

Change the fuel filters. Some have two and some just have one. But it sure sounds like the fuel filter is plugged up.

It happened to me in Sundance, SD. Filled up with fuel and it just run about a mile and the engine started acting like it was out of fuel. I turned back because I did not want to be broken down on the side of the road in the middle of no where. I called Coach-Net and they sent a tow truck and towed me to the Freightliner shop in Gillette, Wy. About eighty miles away. They changed the fuel filter and I had them change the oil and filter since it was there. And it run good the rest of the trip to Southern, Ca.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
towerwalker

I appreciate the information and I will certainly do as you have suggested. It seemed to behave like it was starved for fuel, I will post my results.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
Towboy

Has it been sitting for quite some time cause maybe algea in fuel will clog filters.

John
Old 03-12-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
Chuck v

Towerwalker,

Another thing to check if it has 'half a tank' and has been sitting over the winter is to look into it having water in the fuel, as condensation can be an issue if you don't have a full tank over the humid, cooler months. My coach has a water in fuel sensor to alert me if there is a build up of water in the separator.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #6
towerwalker

It seems that you are both right, I had quite a bit of water in the system as well as black fungi in the system. When we bought it, it had been sitting for months without any use or starting. The tank was right at 1/2, and when we used containers to fill it to over 3/4 of a tank with clean fuel, and fuel conditioners with a biocide we were able to start it using starter fluid and it has been running well ever since. We also replaced the fuel/water separator filter and we intend to run it for at least two hours a day until we can expend the fuel that is in the tank. Thank you both for your input.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:04 AM   #7
Towboy

I use a extra dose of Biobor when I know it will sit for a while. I do add a small amount each fillup.

John