Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
robfogle

Send a message via MSN to robfogle
Default Hello from Wisconsin

Hello to all, My name is Rob and my wife's name is Lynnette. We were pop-up campers until today as we just picked up a new 2007 Endura 6340. (at my wife's suggesting) She was never really happy camping in a pop-up and she always referred to it as the tent-mobile. Her idea of camping was ice tea on the patio. Now she is very happy and less reluctant to go camping. All I have to do now is find the ice tea mix. All kidding aside this is my second RV and her first. although it has been about 20 years and a different life since my last one. Also my last one was only a 24 footer this one will be a challenge for both of us at 35 feet, Not including the boat that we will be pulling. If any one has any suggestions with towing a boat we would welcome them. The biggest problem that I for see is launching and loading.

As we have 2 teenagers and are still quite a ways from retirement we are looking forward to some great family camping and boating. Since we prefer to camp at or very near to lakes so we can use the boat and pull the kids around. If anyone has camping/boating suggestions that are in the Midwest we would like to here about them as we are always looking for somewhere new to go to.

We are also looking to setup a 2002 Toyota Camry as a toad for those trips that we will not need the boat. We are currently looking for the equipment and suggestions to on the best way to do this.

Thanks

SE Wisconsin

2007 Gulf Stream Endura 6340
1998 Bryant 196 Limited
robfogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
earljan34

Rob, Welcome to the GS Owners Forum, We wish you the best of luck with your new Endura and many happy miles.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
coolchas11

Hello from Connecticut. The season is quickly approaching...Enjoy your new Endura. Charlie
Old 03-31-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Timothy

Hi Rob, and welcome to the forum. I can't tell you much about towing with your Endura because I have a fifth wheel. Glad to hear you'll be getting to do something you enjoyed in the past.
Where did you buy your rig from? I had to go to De Witt Iowa to pick up my Canyon Trail in the fall of 2003 because there were no dealers in Wisconsin handling the Canyon Trail line at that time.
We live in rural Wild Rose in the East central part of the state, maybe we'll see you around the campground.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
djqualls

The only advice I can offer is take a few short runs without towing and do some "Around Town" runs with your rig and tow vehicle/boat to get accustomed to the turns and such. the mall in late evening till after dark is a good practice area. then go to a school lot or anywhere where you will have some play room.

Good Luck.

Watch out for tree limbs... That was my first "Uh-Oh"

Dave.......
Old 04-01-2007, 07:38 AM   #6
WE B RVN

Welcome to the forum Rob & Lynnette

A boat? This is interesting. I think you need some personal assistance with this. I could come and help you with the boat. It would only take a week or two. The only cost to you would be the beer. Just Kidding.

Depending on the size of the boat you may consider installing a hitch on the front of the motor home for launching and loading. I have seen many people do that. I have had two boats, a 20 ft and a 24 ft. However I never towed them with a motor home. As far as driving the motor home, one thing to watch for is tail swing. Put a cone (or something) beside your left rear tire, then have someone turn the steering wheel all the way to the right then start moving, watch how far the rear bumper crosses over top of the cone on the left side. The same thing opposite to the right when turning to the left. Measure the distance (probably will be over 2 feet) and you will know for example how far from a fuel pump to get so you will not clip the post when turning out of the pumps. (the tail swig on my unit is over 4 feet)

hichtrader.com has used equipment for sale. This is where I purchased my base plate for half price.

Good luck and have fun
Kevin & Cindy
WE B RVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
MJA

Hey Rob,
I'm also from SE Wi, and also will soon be an onwer of an Endura 6430. It's on order and due for delivery in a few weeks.
Maybe we can help each other with the learning curve.

I'm not a boater, so can't help you much there, but the suggestion of a front mounted hitch is a good one.

I currently have a "Standard" 31ft Class C and tow a vechicle 4-down quite a bit. First thing, you need to determine if your toad vechicle is factory ok to be towed 4-down. I don't think a 2002 Camry is unless it's a manual trans. Owners manual should tell. If it's not, your choices are a transmission lube pump, or tow dolly. My current toad (2002 Chrysler)
has a lube pump and I have never had any problems. Another decision is whether to use auxillary brakes in toad. You will probably gets lots of different opinions on whether they are necessary or not. My personal opinion with regards to brakes is the more the better. I have a braking system in my toad.

Good Luck with your Endura, and If you don't mind, shoot me a PM now and then and maybe we can compare notes!

Mike

Mike & Brenda
New Berlin, Wi
MJA is offline   Reply With Quote