Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-31-2021, 06:40 PM   #1
Dingoman

Default Shower Floor

Hello everyone, I bought a 2014 Gulfstream Vista Cruiser, and the floor of the corner shower is horribly flimsy, it flexes so much that it can throw you off balance! They have a u-shaped piece of 3/8" or 1/2" plywood surrounding the drain pipe, with two measly bits of 2 by 3 holding it up.
I was thinking of using that black expanding foam (waterfall foam) to fill under the shower floor and give it complete support. It is used in backyard waterfalls to keep huge boulders from shifting.
Has anyone done this? I'm thinking if there was ever a leak, it could be chipped out very easily....?
Dingoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:37 AM   #2
elmerfud

I have a 2012 Visa. I ripped a few boards and lightly glued them under the unsupported areas. The shower is solid now.
The foam might overexpand and fubar the shower floor.
I can still access the heat run and plumbing.
Either shims or foam will work. It might be a big hassle digging out all that foam just to run a wire or repair mouse damage......
IMHO
elmerfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #3
Stovebolter

Default Stabilize shower floor

Dingoman, sounds like a good solution for a factory oversight. I have the same shower floor problem on my BT 5240 and looking through the side cutout looks like Gulf Stream ran all the water piping and drain lines under the shower pan.

I like your idea about the foam install. Make sure all connections for shower drain are tight and leave that section unfoamed where the drain hooks up to the service line. I'm going to see if a foam release agent can be used to coat the whole underside before squirting in the foam just in case later on the shower pan needs to be replaced.

Most likely need a non-expandable foam that won't cause a chemical reaction reaction to the plumbing lines or shower pan.

Good luck with you project.
Bud B
Stovebolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:15 PM   #4
jamesham

We used the minimal expanding foam version of Great Stuff and it worked just fine to support the shower base. Tip: Shoot it into a heavy plastic bag like a 1 quart freezer bag so it is easier to remove if necessary. We filled 3 bags from 2 cans of foam. So far we have not had any leaks or needed to remove it after 3 years.

as anyone done this? I'm thinking if there was ever a leak, it could be chipped out very easily....?[/QUOTE]
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:32 AM   #5
muleman

Default Muleman

Had the same problem took pieces of 3/4 inch plywood the length across the underneath then took piceces of 2/4 and wedged the plywood to the bottom of the shower basin and has held great easy to remove if needed to get under floor.
muleman is offline   Reply With Quote