Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-27-2021, 03:35 AM   #1
Cdbaker256

Default Broken Fridge please help

Hello.

I have a 2020 Gulfstream Kingsport 279bh. This is my very first camper, bought second hand with no manuals. We have been living in it full time for one week now and we still can't get the fridge or furnace to work. It will not run on electrical or gas.

GCFI is fine, plugged in, breaker box and fuses in it are fine, little glass fuse on the outside is fine, and propane is full. I don't know if it's related, however, the usbs do not work either. After living on YouTube for a week I think there's a shared fuse between the furnace and the refrigerator that I can't find. Do any of you know where it is or maybe have another idea of what could be wrong?

Thank you for any tips.
Cdbaker256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:38 PM   #2
Leisure Time Larry

Yeah, there pretty much are never manuals for the individual components like you would think. You pretty much have to look up what you have and download manuals from the internet.

Let's see if we can get a little bit more information from you. What Make/model is your fridge? Have you ever successfully operated it before? Are you plugged into shore power? What voltage is being provided by your coach battery(s)? How are you keeping your batteries charged? Can you successfully light the propane range burners? Is the rest of the coach operating on 12v power as it should, i.e. are the lights working? Is the fridge light coming on?

The fridge, and the furnace, always need power from the 12v system. Both should work without being plugged in to shore power. However, shore power should keep your battery charged and provide 120v power to operate the fridge in the auto mode, or by using a 120v electrical element to heat.

Without shore power, the fridge operates by using 12v power to operate the circuit board and by using propane to heat the chemicals. Problems can arise when the propane is 'full'. If it's too full, it can clog up the works. It should never be more than 80% or so of total capacity. Another thing that gets folks is opening the propane valves properly. They have safeties built in. You have to open the valve about as slowly as you can for about the first half to full turn (until you can tell the gas has pressurized the line) then you can open it up fully faster. Light a propane burner. If it lights, let it burn for a few minutes. Make sure the flame is steady and not dancing around. This will indicate you have good flow and purity coming from the tank. NOW, try to operate the fridge by putting it in gas mode. It may take a couple of cycles for it to work as that gas is getting through the line. Did it work?

In my coach the furnace is on it's own fused 12v circuit, 15 amp. My fridge shares another 15 amp circuit with the 12v TV outlet. This could be similar with your USBs not working. Is the fridge light on, or is it obviously getting power? If not, it looks like you need to track down and replace a 12v fuse.

Now, quickly on the furnace. Is nothing working? Does the blower turn on at all? Or, is the burner just not lighting?
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:19 AM   #3
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdbaker256 View Post
Hello.

I have a 2020 Gulfstream Kingsport 279bh. This is my very first camper, bought second hand with no manuals. We have been living in it full time for one week now and we still can't get the fridge or furnace to work. It will not run on electrical or gas.

GCFI is fine, plugged in, breaker box and fuses in it are fine, little glass fuse on the outside is fine, and propane is full. I don't know if it's related, however, the usbs do not work either. After living on YouTube for a week I think there's a shared fuse between the furnace and the refrigerator that I can't find. Do any of you know where it is or maybe have another idea of what could be wrong?

Thank you for any tips.
CONTROLS for both Refrig 120/Propane and Furnace require 12vdc. When plugged in, you should get power from Converter, even if battery dead, so suspicion that FUSE is blown in the POWER CENTER? But it could be a loose screw at a terminal, bad crimp splice, frayed/ grounded wire from movement or rodent chewed wire. There is also a FUSE under the cover, internal to the wall mount THERMOSTAT? LUCK TO YA (eDIT/ ADD) P.S. i do think you are on correct path to troubleshoot.
Old 07-04-2021, 12:57 PM   #4
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

First go thru and make a list of all appliances/ accessories Brand and Model/ Serial, and search online for pdf downloads of OWNER MANUALS, SERVICE manuals, PARTS LISTS (ILLUSTRATED PARTS LIST/ IPL). Save all to ONE folder w/ sub-folders by Brand, and you can copy all to Flashdrive w/ ONE Click; maybe add Model# to end of sib-folder Names E.g. ONAN-BGEFA26100P (Spec P) EmeraldPlus LUCK to ya

Tags
dometic refrigerator, electrical, fuse, kingsport