Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-20-2022, 09:13 PM   #1
PygmySurfer

Default Proper Spring Bar for Vintage Cruiser 23BHS

Hi,

We’re downsizing from a Pioneer QB300 (just under 7000 lbs, 806 lb hitch weight) to a Vintage Cruiser 23BHS (4253 lbs, 480 lb tongue weight), and I’m planning to keep the weight distribution hitch I have. It is a Husky Centerline TS, with the 800-1200 lb spring bars. I’m wondering if I can use the spring bars I have, or if I should look into replacing them with the 400-600 lb bars.

I believe some manufacturers list a “weight redistribution” amount on their trailers, I’m unsure if Gulfstream does, though (and we don’t have our new trailer yet to look). Hoping someone here can help me be prepared for when our trailer does arrive.

Thanks everyone,

Kelly
PygmySurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:49 PM   #2
Skkuhns51

Hi Kelly,
We have a 2021 Vintage 23MBS and same weight as yours. I chose the Curt 17500 WD hitch. This is actually a size larger than recommended, but my dealer in Albuquerque, Albuquerque RV, let me test drive the smaller size before deciding, and it took only a mile on I-25 to know I needed the heavier unit. What a world of difference. This hitch is for 8000-10000 lbs gross trailer and 1000# tongue weight.
Drove back to south central Kansas with south crosswind and had never had any problems, even with semi trucks.
Always better to go larger capacity, in my opinion. Good towing, enjoy the Vintage, we are.
Skkuhns51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:55 AM   #3
PygmySurfer

Thanks, Skkuhns51. That was my initial thought, until I saw some videos of trailer A-frames bending (ie: ). It seems like the WDH can put too much pressure on the frame, and cause it to bend, especially if you use too heavy of a spring bar. I'm probably just overthinking it, though

Hoping it'll get here soon, so we can enjoy it.
PygmySurfer is offline   Reply With Quote