Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Gulf Stream Owners | Community Forums > Forum Help | Announcements | News
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-08-2023, 10:03 AM   #1
Ed ODell

Lightbulb New 2023 Vintage 23RSS - Slideout Leaking

Any one else have water coming in around the slideout? Anyone notice water stains around the inside bottom of the water heater compartment?

Any good fixes? Thanks!
Ed ODell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 03:48 PM   #2
bmojmhs

First you have to isolate where the slideout water leak is. Work on different areas and see if what you do works. The operating assumption here is that the water is coming in from above.

Start with the slideout roof. If it is rubber make sure there are no cuts in it. The rubber membrane is attached to the outer roof edge (the outside wall of the slideout) by a metal angle. Make sure the hold down screws are sealed. Check the roof edges to make sure there are no gaps where water can come in.

Another place to look is the inside corners of the slide out at the top of the slide out. The are cut at a 45 degree angle and if not done right will allow water to get in. Seal them anyhow just to be safe.

Next, check all the screws that attach the outer face of the slideout to the slideout box. Seal them just in case.

The process is do something, let it rain and see if it worked. If not do the next thing, let it rain and see if that worked, etc.

I had a Class A and the leaks turned out to be the roof membrane on one side and the inside corner on the other.

Good luck.

As a new unit, the seals should be good.
bmojmhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 09:35 PM   #3
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

When slide extended, make sure seal/ wiper is all facing out? Slide AWNING HELP REDUCE leak risk on top of slide, but always safer to retract during storms/ bad weather. Also while extended, see if slide centered front to rear? Mine was not, and I had to adjust when I replaced a torn vertical wiper seal. Several problems I found in my then 17yo rig were mostly caused by techs/ repair (maybe DIY owners?), and I DIY repaired all.

Sometimes, when slide extends, most but not all of seal extends, and water will flow to inside where seal did not flop out. If you extend and then inspect, you can pull out any in wrong position. But if slide not centered, it can also rip seal loose, or tear it.
Old 10-15-2023, 10:37 PM   #4
hossross

I am a fan of good diagnostics. Park your RV in different parts down hill. Ie nose down and level side to side. get hose out and make it rain, then park slide side down and front to back level, again make it rain wiht sprayer on hose. park slide side uphill and level front to back. test again. make water come from the direction and force of typical rain, don't cause hurricane conditions with the hose and sprayer. When see water leaking then figure out the path. Easy to get up hill and down by driving over blocks at certain wheels. if cant see any leaks with the simple positioning, then induce combinations of side and front to back. The other suggested way of fixing anything you see as suspect can work too, I just like to identify the problem and then fix. but dont keep letting everything get wet, horrible for the materials and life of your RV
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote