Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
2010cami

Default Gulf Stream Independence

My husband and I are thinking of purchasing a new Gulf Stream
Independence. Does anyone have any comments, good or bad.
This will be our first RV. Just looking for advice and any service
issues if known.
2010cami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
sd1209

I have an Independence model 8295.....Love the MH, a good entry level....However, a word of caution...I and others have experienced a total lack of cust service from GS....I have called and e-mailed on a dozen occasions and have never ever recieved a response....My independent RV tech will no longer deal with any GS warranty product due to their lack of timley payment, unreturned calls for warranty work, etc....Others in other cities have expressed the same comment....However, I have heard of others who have not had issues...Just look at the feedback on this site and others for GS as it relates to cust service over the past 2-3 yrs......Do your homework....

My MH, which I like, has a gross wt on the frt axle of 7000 lbs....When I bought it I had it weighed, totally empty of everything, not even clothes inside yet, except 1/2 tank of gas.....It weighed exactly 7000 lbs in the front....So anything I add in frt of the rear tires puts it over in front...This is unexcusable by the mfg.....I just never thought to weight it before I bought it....

There is simply too much competition out there among the mfg's still in business to not pick the best one that suits your needs and will fulfill any issues you may have with a new unit.....And you will have issues that need attn......

Steve and Liz
Fallbrook, Ca

2006 Model 8295 GS Independence
30', 3 slides, V-10
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
CraigS

We have a 2008 Independence 8359. We bought it used at a good price so problems we have had are relatively easy to live with. If we had bought it new, we might be less forgiving.

Problems/Issues:

1. Power Gear Leveling System, P/N 140-1179. It simply does not work. I have learned how to reset the device each time I use it. Does not really level more than a couple of inches. I will stay away from Power Gear in the future.

2. Suburban Water Heater - Drain plugged with calcium last year, froze and broke over the winter. Replaced this spring.

3. Tube TV's in 2008 model - Replaced with LCDs over the winter.

4. Manual Awning - Average/poor.

5. Storage compartment doors need occasional adjustments.

Items #4 & #5 are only ones that I hold GS responsible for. And they are minor. The rest could happen in any MH.

So overall, I think buying a used GS represents good value. Research people's complaints about warranty work. I don't perceive it as positively. GS needs to smarten up in this day and age.
2010 Ford Focus Toad
CraigS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
gbarngrover

I bought a 2007 independence 8295 new and am pleased with it. Only had one issue under warranty the first year with the power gear jacks touch pad but got that resolved. Haven't had any major issues.
gbarngrover is offline   Reply With Quote