Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-15-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
AmeriLite21

Default Attaching a cargo carrier to rear 4x4 bumper

I am thinking of attaching a bolt on bumper hitch for a cargo carrier on the rear bumper of my AmeriLite 21MB. I want to carry a set of steps on the carrier. Total combined weight of the carrier and the steps would be less that 100 lbs. Has anyone attached anything to their rear bumper. Will the bumper hold the 100 lb weight? I am slightly disabled and assembling and disassembling the steps is really a hassle. Any comments would be appreciated.
'01 Dodge RAM 1500 4X4 O/R Quad Cab SLT
AmeriLite21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:05 AM   #2
MikeK

Default Re: Attaching a cargo carrier to rear 4x4 bumper

Im a newbe to this gs board. I just bought a 23rsd and Im going to put a hitch on the back for a bike rack. My total will be less than 100 lbs. There is a posting that might help, do a search "Hitch on rear bumper of visa"
https://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psbmjsyrcu.jpg
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
AmeriLite21

Okay, today I mounted the bumper mount receiver and the cargo carrier on the rear bumper of the trailer. Had to mount the receiver a little to the left of center on the bumper. The spare tire is mounted too low to get the receiver in the middle, but that is okay as it makes more room on the right end of the bumper for fully opening the water heater cover. I mounted the receiver on top of the bumper to get more ground clearance under the cargo carrier. Had to shim around the bar on the cargo carrier as it was a loose fit in the receiver. I cut a piece from a plastic milk carton and folded it around the bar. Now it is a tighter fit with very little play. I cut two pieces from a 4X4 and notched them to fit around the rear legs of the step unit to nest in on the carrier. It all worked out very nicely. Can't wait to take our next camping trip to take advantage of this modification. It will make it a lot easier to set up the steps at the campground. No more removing the bolts and folding and unfolding the step platform and lifting it into the back of the 4X4 Ram. Only have to lift it 2 ft instead of 4 f t. I'll just add about 10 gallon of water in the front mounted water tank to counter the weight on the rear of the trailer.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
RinconVTR

See my install post here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3753
Old 07-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
AmeriLite21

I looked at several type receivers, but decided on the u-bolt attachment type because of my bumper and trailer rear frame configuration. No drilling, welding, etc. required. Used the carrier set-up on our last camping trip. It was perfect. Just set the assembled steps on the carrier and strapped it down so it wouldn't get itself lost on the drive. At the campground just unstrapped it and lifted it off and set it in place. Only took a few minutes, instead of the 15 to 20 to unload, unfold, and attach four bolts. No pinched fingers and lining up holes. Much, much better. Will have to get some pictures together and post them.