Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
darbyjudy

Default Problems with skin on the end of slide out

I have a slide out on my 2004 Gulfstream Sunvoyager 37 ft. Towards the botton on the one end the paint has bubbled up and when I examined it closely it is the thin aluminum skin that covers the wood that has electrolis in it. There is an area about 2x2 that is bad. There is several holes in it and between the aluminum and the wood is a fabric of some type. I went ahead and broke open the bubbles and then covered it with some aluminum tape I have and waiting to see if it continues. I think maybe it has leaked water at the top of the slide out. I also placed some aluminum tape along the seam at the top of the slide out. I am wondering if I need to remove the bad aluminun or just cover it with another piece. I can place a piece over the bad area and then have it painted to match. I could use pop ribets to fasten it there. What do you think? Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
RayChez1

Never heard of electrolysis on aluminum. Most electrolysis is on copper making contact with other metal like galvanized causing a reaction. Acids will create a build up of chemicals. I could be wrong, but what you are describing seems like your paint just bubbled up over the aluminum. I would not put that aluminum tape, I would take the coach to a paint shop to get it fixed, IF you want your coach to look nice and fixed right.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
darbyjudy

They are holes eaten through the aluminun skin, the aluminum is very thin. Then between the aluminun and the wood is a fabric of some type, it could be fiberglas, I am not sure. I had this repaired once when it first started, they fixed it with body fiberglas and then repainted. But it then came out again. I really beleive that water has caused the problem for when i periced one of the bubbles water ran out. Or at least it looked like water. I don't want to fix until I am sure it has stopped. It is coming from the inside of the skin, the paint was still in good shape unit I pierced the bubbles.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
darbyjudy

Default Re: Problems with skin on the end of slide out

I ordered a piece of aluminum today for the repair. It is 18inches by 18 inches. I am going to use screws to install it and then caulk the edges so no water can get under it. The aluminum is designed as a kick plate for a door but see no reason why it won't work for this repair. The screws will be counter sunk and it should no cause any problem with the wipe seal along the side of the slide out. I will paint the aluminum before I install it. It might be hard to find a match for the grey that is there already but if it looks too bad I will hire someone to paint to match.