Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #1
[email protected]

Default Electrical 12volt problem model 21MB

I camped with 110volt. hookup for two nights. By the second night the lights dimmed very low. I later found out that the battery became low (Battery checked fully charged and good before trip) . The battery was NOT being charged through the Converter/charger? My guess.. Is there a way to check the charger.. I don't want to buy a new PPS 7100 converter/charger without being sure that the charger portion is bad. Are there any fool proof checks that can be made? I had a electrician tell me to spray the voltage tickler with contact cleaner... does that make sense on this unit?
scoutpilot15@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:44 AM   #2
atreis

Default Re: Electrical 12volt problem model 21MB

If it wasn't being charged, the battery getting low after two nights is about right. (It's also running the control circuit for the fridge, various safety devices, water pump, possibly more, and you were likely not making any attempt to conserve.)

If your converter is working, and your battery is low enough for the lights to be dim, simply plugging in to shore power is enough to see. (The lights would get bright.) You can also measure the voltage at a 12V receptacle, or at the battery itself before and after plugging in. Before replacing the converter though, check the circuit breaker. Usually the converter has it's own. If it looks like it's on, flip it off and back on. (Sometimes a tripped breaker doesn't look tripped.) FWIW, it's not that unusual for converters to fail.

The suggestion about contact cleaner makes me think the electrician isn't familiar with how trailers are wired. Your connection to the battery is clearly fine, and assuming you used 110V appliances (AC, microwave) the connection to the converter itself is also fine.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
[email protected]

Thanks... your reply is of great help... today I plan on spending time with numerous checks that you suggested. I will update later.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #4
[email protected]

I disconnected battery: plugged into shore power 120v AC.: No lights, No Air Condition, No Refrigerator, No Pump... the microwave worked, the fan in Bathroom worked and ALL AC outlets read 120V.
I charged battery and it read 12.3 volts... I hooked up battery without plugging in shore power. The battery then read 12.23 volts... All 12 volt lights worked.
I plugged in the shore power 120 volt... the battery then read 12.8 volts...
About three hours later I check the battery and the voltage was 12.23 volts
(I did cycle circuit breakers with out any change)
Tonight I'm leaving the refrigerator and will check in the morning to see if battery is down.
I assume, as this time, that the Converter/charger is Not Working because their was NO increase in voltage at the battery????
Does anyone know what the voltage should be at the battery when the charger is working properly?
Old 08-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
atreis

12.23V is a battery that's low on charge. With the charger going, it should read either 14.2V or 13.4V (or thereabouts) depending on the part of the charge cycle it's in.

Sure sounds to me though like your converter/charger has issues. You should have read much higher voltage than that with the converter plugged in to shore power.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
[email protected]

I PURCHASED A CONVERTER/CHARGER... INSTALLED IN JUST A FEW MINUTES... EVERYTHING IS WORKING GREAT! BATTERY IS CHARGING... THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!
Old 08-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #7
atreis

Glad it's working now! Happy camping!