Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Georunner

Default 2 years of the Super Nova

Many of us have had our Nova's for 2 years or more now and I thought it would be nice to get a list of what you think might be common problems and fixes for this relatively new coach. Don't want to start a bitch session but maybe a thread where new buyers can find potential problems and get a fix for them, or for those buying a used one can check. For example:

1. Texas TC identified the problem of radiator hoses rubbing on the frame. He found out the hard way, and it sure saved me a lot of headache!
2. My 120v wire feed to the plug under the dinning table ripped in two the first time we ran the slide out in. Had to splice in about 3 feet of cable to fix.
3. A new one for me is that the insulation strip along the top of the dinning room slide out fell out on top of the slide out. Would never have known about it except we felt some really cold air coming in from some where and tracked it down. Not the easist fix as there is not much room up there to get it glued back on. Straight forward repair, just tight quarters.
4. I have noticed some wear on the fresh water tank where the metal brackets are rubbing. I recall a post some time ago that suggested high density foam be put back there in place of the brackets, will have to check out how to do that before we get a hole in the tank. (We drive a lot of very rough roads in Colorado State parks so ours may experience more bouncing that others.
5. My wife had issues with the pantry next to the refrigerator so I built a slide out pantry, nice addition to the kitchen. We also built an entertainment center in the cab over cause I did not like the way the TV opened for viewing.

We have the 6331 model and just love it, but would like to hear of other areas you all might suggest we check as a preventive measures.
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
Kimbo

Look forward towards seeing the postings. We have a 08 SuperNova 6372. Fixes & areas we?ve addressed include:

1. Added Superride 800 series air suspension system from American Carrier Equipment. This greatly improved the ride and comfort of the rig.
2. Like Georunner, updated the pantry. Replaced the plastic shelf brackets with metal brackets and built new shelves that fit snugger.
3. Upgraded and replaced the mattresses for the king bed and pullout couch.
4. Ongoing problem? After two years & numerous visits to the dealer ? one of our basement storage compartments continues to flood during rain. The rubber seal/gasket has been replaced. We suspect the door is slightly warped & preventing a tight seal.
5. During the first year, the leveling system was probably our biggest pain. System errors & jacks not retracting. Most of the jacks were replaced and everything is working now.
6. Got tired of caulking and fighting leaks along the cab and body seam. Applied EternaBond RV tape and haven?t had anymore leaks. Love EternaBond!
7. Got nervous when we noticed that the large wall slide had gap when retracted. Minor adjustment from dealer fixed gap. I didn?t realize the slides needed periodic adjusting.
8. We also had rubbing from the metal brackets holding the water tank. Applied silicon between the tank and brackets and haven?t had anymore wearing.

We?re really happy with International and to date we?ve never had any problems with the chassis on the SuperNova. We love our SuperNova. It?s not perfect but still makes us smile when we get to use it.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Texas TC

My SuperNova is probably the oldest one on the site. I have had it for over 30,000 miles and two and a half years. When I ordered it, there was a question as to whether they were going to add the second fuel tank and ladder. They had not built one with both of these options at the time. It did come in with both options. However, I still have the original diamond plate steps painted black. I have thought about changing them out for the new design but I kinda like the looks and durability of the ones I have.

I have added:

Tinted windows in the cab and bedroom.
Day/night shades in the living room.
Two towel racks in the toilette area.
Three hooks on the outside top of the toilette door.
Three hooks above the entry door for my baseball caps.
Digital converter for the front TV. The rear TV was changed out during warranty and is digital ready.
In-motion satellite system with Directv receiver.
7" TV for the outside entertainment area.
Air ride suspension.
Folding rocking chair that stores under the dinette when in motion.
Black out window covers for the living room. Used when the coach is stored on the pad by our house. The windows face the west.
Power vent. (I did not order one because I did not want the opening in the roof. When it arrived, it had a manual hatch opening so I added the power vent).

I have had no issues with the pantry or leaking basement storage. I have made it a practice to have the seal checked between the cap and the body of the coach each year. Every year it has to be maintained I have found.

As previously mentioned, I replaced the water hose after it was damaged due to rubbing on the frame. I also replaced the hose on JimBob's coach. His did the same thing. He was in Texas for a visit and we replaced it on a Sunday afternoon.

My coach came with the wrong colored captains chairs so GS changed them out for the right ones during the first year. (Our decor is Sante Fe and it came with cream colored front seats. Didn't bother me but my wife insisted that they be changed to match the sofa. As it turned out, we got larger and more comfortable chairs out of the deal).

My next purchase will probably be air horns since I have a compressor and big air tank on board.

I would also like to find some better shocks for the front axle. Now that the rear has been calmed down with air suspension, I feel that an even better ride could be had with some good high performance shocks. (If anyone finds some, please post).

We truly love our coach and plan to keep it for a long time.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
mfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TC
... I have made it a practice to have the seal checked between the cap and the body of the coach each year. Every year it has to be maintained I have found.
What does the maintenance involve?
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
Texas TC

There is a sealant that is supposed to waterproof the joint at the front cap and the fiberglass roof. Due to Texas sun and movement on the road, the sealant seems to erode over a years travel time. This past season, my dealer used a new compound (don't remember the name of the product) that is advertised to hold up under hot sunny conditions and stay pliable so that movement will not cause cracking.

Prior to this year, the dealer physically removed the sealant at the joint and replaced it with the same product annually.

To find issues, I have the coach pressure tested so that the leaks can be detected from the outside rather than finding them on the inside.

Even with the new product, I still plan to have the coach pressure tested this season. It is a cheap ( $89.00) way to find issues before they become problems.

Also, I am confident that the movement and vibration has been reduced with the addition of the air ride suspension system. Over time, I am sure the coach and its' components are going to appreciate not being jarred and bounced around like they were before the addition of the new suspension.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Georunner

Thanks for the input guys. I had no idea I should check the seam where the cap attaches to the main coach. After reading the posts I inspected it and sure enough, have some maintenance to do. This is exactly why I started the thread, to see if there was something else to look into.
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
schmittm

Where did you get the black out covers for the living room windows. I have a 2008 6372. Did you add compressor and tank or are you talking about the one for the brakes because I have been thinking of putting air horns on too.
Also trying to find info on changing to new fiberglass step covers instead of metal diamond plate.
I will post pictures later, but I sound proofed hood and engine compartment and then took out seats, pulled floor matt back and took door panels off and sound proofed the inside of the cab. HUGE difference, can barely here clatter of diesel engine once fan goes off. Used the car audio sound deadening material. Will post name of website later because it is a lot cheaper than using dynomat? Or what ever then name brand expensive stuff is called. Cost me $399.00 for all materials and I have about 75 sq ft left over to use some where else.
Put a TS Diesel programmer on engine, does not effect computor. It hooks into fuel line pressure electrical port. Go to their website to learn more. It makes a difference in power, but not sure my mileage is better. Can be unhooked in minutes and does not change computer so will not affect warranty.
Has anyone added Alcoa aluminium wheels yet? This will suppossedly improve ride and reduce a lot of weight (unsprung) which should increase breaking and mileage.
Has anyone added a 2000 watt sinewave system and 2 extra batteries yet. Looking for how it was wired.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Texas TC

My wife purchased the material at a fabric store for the blackout shades. We cut to size and added Velcro to the back of the material. The Velcro adheres to the material on the window valence.

The air compressor and tank were added with the Superide 800 suspension system.

I cannot help you with the tank covers. Like I have previously stated, I really like the diamond plate step/tank covers and do not wish to change to the fiberglass version.

I have not looked into high capacity inverter system. In fact, mine did not come with an inverter, which I had on a previous coach, so I purchased a 450 watt at camping world. The only thing I can see it is good for is powering the TV and satellite system without shore power or generator. I have had the inverter for about two years and have never used it so I don't see a need for a super system to power the entire coach.

I do some boon docking at race tracks but tend to run the generator when I want to watch TV.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
Texas TC

I would like to add a couple of items to my list of additions to the SuperNova since purchased.

Hawkshead tire pressure measurement system which I have found to be extremely helpful.

Garmin Nuvi GPS.

Roadmaster Add-a-brake for the Jeep Wrangler towed vehicle (which I have only used once when I first purchased the Nova. These 6331's have so much available towing capacity since they only weigh a little over 21000 pounds that I have really not found a reason to use the supplemental braking system. I wish I had that $900.00 back!).