Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
frog60

Default heater

We took our Gulf Stream to Pagosa Springs, Co and had a great time. No problems towing but the heater didn't seem to warm up the trailer enough in the cold weather. Days were in the mid 60's but nights dropped to high teens. Quite a difference. The heater ran most of the night and could not get the temp above 65. I'll contact the dealer & let them know.
frog60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
keithinspace

Were you dry camping? If you were connected to power, we've found a space heater or two to be a more effective solution than relying on the furnace.

Is your furnace ducted? Just curious. Ours is not and I don't know how it would heat our long-ish 255BH from the kitchen. We stayed out in 40 degree weather and the space heaters kept us at 70+ and the furnace didn't even kick in.

All that said, any-teens (high, low, or otherwise) is no joke. Unless they are specifically equipped to deal with extreme temperatures (such as Arctic Fox, I've heard), they will struggle to keep the heat in as you get far below freezing.

Think of your trailer as a 3-season (or "30 degree") sleeping bag. You really don't want all that stuffing the rest of the time (weight), but the sacrafice is it being a little colder than you may care for in the coldest of cold. You'd hate the "zero degree" sleeping bag in the summer, I promise.

I doubt Gulf Stream will have much of an opinion about it. Nor do I think anything is wrong with your heater. That little furnace being able to maintain a 50 degree differential between inside and outside is pretty admirable, in my opinion.

Put another way, when it is teens outside, the two furnaces in my HOUSE run nearly all the time to maintain 68 degrees. Why would I expect much more from my camper?
keithinspace is offline   Reply With Quote