Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-05-2021, 06:11 PM   #1
AJFishin

Default :Solved: 2003 BT cruiser FRESH water tank drain, what am I not getting??

I found the low point for the hot/cold water drains, 1 a piece, to drain out my fresh water tank, but it does not drain after pulling them up and turning them. These valves are located in a outside storage box to the left of where the grey/black water tanks are located.

I looked under my sofa where the fresh water tank is and there are no other values or T values to open to allow water to freely drain. I also have my RV on a very slight incline so water has an easy way to drain down and out.
There is a 3/4" or so pipe running from the fresh water tank under the pantry and then under the fridge, but again no visible valve.
Under the sink there is a valve that says "BYPASS" and it is in the "BYPASS" position.

Is there another valve I'm missing or am I supposed to do something else to drain the water?
This is driving nuts as I want to drain the tank that has about 1/4 of water in there so I can sanitize it.

Reading the manual it says, " To drain, OPEN the water tank valve (Fig.14)", then proceeds to show the water pump with no valve. This is exactly how mine is.

Hope some one has the answer or can get me moving on the right path.
AJFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:26 PM   #2
Leisure Time Larry

What model is your BTC? Typically, there is a drain pipe straight out of the FW tank prior to the water pump with a pull-up gate valve that will allow the tank to gravity drain through the floor. However, if you can't find this on yours, but you have found a low point drain, then just open the LPD and run the water pump and let it pump out the rest of the water from your tank if that is just what you are trying to do.

If you are trying to winterize, don't forget to drain the water heater tank as well.
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:22 PM   #3
AJFishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure Time Larry View Post
What model is your BTC? Typically, there is a drain pipe straight out of the FW tank prior to the water pump with a pull-up gate valve that will allow the tank to gravity drain through the floor. However, if you can't find this on yours, but you have found a low point drain, then just open the LPD and run the water pump and let it pump out the rest of the water from your tank if that is just what you are trying to do.

If you are trying to winterize, don't forget to drain the water heater tank as well.
Thank you for the reply.

Model is: 5230B

UPDATE….
I just double checked and found the drain valve. I was looking for a white pull up and it was black.
Once I shined my flashlight in and around the area I noticed it. Pulled it up and I started hearing the water piss out.

I’ll take a picture tomorrow of it in case anyone comes across this with the same question.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:29 PM   #4
AJFishin

I just want to update this.

I did find the drain T valve near the FWT. I marked up some pictures for a better description.
To add the drain tube is behind the generator coming out of the floor deck, in my case batteries. It's short and mine when opened and draining water, it was getting on my batteries. To fix this I just placed a funnel under the hose and it drained perfectly to the ground.

Just an FYI, I will be relocating the inverter and the wiring mess there that the PO did.

Old 11-16-2021, 12:10 AM   #5
[email protected]

Got it... interestingly... our unit is 2002 and does NOT have a valve... had to use the pump. Thanks for getting back to me.
belrosejnr@shaw.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:23 PM   #6
AJFishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Got it... interestingly... our unit is 2002 and does NOT have a valve... had to use the pump. Thanks for getting back to me.
I first called Gulf Stream, not much help there. Then I called a mechanic I was referred to that actually built these RV's back in the day.
He told me there is a pull up "T" valve on all of these RV's, unless a PO took it out for some reason.
First he said, get under my rig and look for a small 3" to 4" tube, sometimes longer, coming out of the floor.
So I crawled under there, looked around and that's when I noticed the tube, then I found the pull up "T" valve drain in the spot noted in the picture above.

His other suggestion was, if I could not locate it by the above way, was to follow the pipes coming out of the FWT and seeing where they go. He said he has seen where some owners have moved them in a different spots like under the closet drawer next to the fridge for example.
Good luck and hope you can find it!
Old 01-14-2022, 08:52 AM   #7
bbaluski

I had the same issue last year it can be hard to find. There should also be one in the septic hose compartment to help drain the kitchen and bathroom pipes. I made a 10% bleach solution in 3 gallons of water. If you can drive it around once it helps splash the water/bleach all over the tank. Then turn on pump run water to bathroom sink till you smell bleach. Let it sit over night drain in the morning. Turn off valve. fill tank with clean water about 1/3 full. If you are going to use it again right away, drive it around the block again run bathroom sink, then drain . If you are going to let it sit for a while, just drain. Can repeat rinse if you still smell bleach.
bbaluski is offline   Reply With Quote