Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
cd6400

Default Experience with SN Distribution Panel

Seeking advice/help. On return from a week long stay in campground, I noticed a clicking sound coming from the power distribution panel located in the battery compartment when the coach is not running or connected to anything. After removing the cover, the sound was coming from the upper right "relay" which is attached to the Orange wire. See attached. Not sure if its a relay or not so I'll just call it that. The relay was extremely hot to the touch and the wire was warm. The "relay" would click / cycle one every second or two. I also noticed that the house battery level as indicated on the inside test panel was at 1/3 and should have been full after a 10 hour drive and after being on 50amp shore power for 9 days. When putting a volt meter across the house batteries, I noticed that when the relay would click/cycle the battery voltage would drop from approx 13.2v to 12.1v. When disconnecting the orange wire the battery voltage would remain at 13.2 or at a charging level. It doesn't matter if the main disconnect switch to 'disconnect" the battery power is "on" or "off"...same clicking sound occurs.

I'm not aware of any wiring diagrams/schematics that were provided with the coach when purchase so I have no idea what the orange wire is connected to or where it comes from but I do know its DC voltage not 110v. Any advice or help would be appreciated in identifying this circuit and its purpose. Also if experience proves that the relay is the problem or something else. I've attached a photo of the panel and "relay" for reference. Thanks for any reply in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Distribution Panel Photos.jpg (69.6 KB, 1539 views)
cd6400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
Conquest102

Default Re: Experience with SN Distribution Panel

First I would disconnect ALL power and disconnect the battery. Then contact gulfstream this could lead to a bad problem if its getting hot. Also it looks like a circut breaker not relay the other 2 on the left with 3 wies are relays.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
cd6400

Update....After waiting a full week to obtain a wiring diagram via Gulfstream via my dealership, I've identified that what I called a relay is actually a fuse that can/will repeatably attempt to reset. Hence the clicking sound it made and the very hot to touch temp. The installed fuse was as labeled a 30AMP fuse however the wiring diagram said it should be a 20AMP. The circuit is for the driver/passenger power seats. So further investigation revealed the source of the problem was a short in the wiring harness under the passenger seat. The harness had somehow been routed so that when the seat was adjusted full down it got pinched between the structure of the operating mechanism causing a short. Working now to clean that up....
Old 08-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
PieEye

Thanks for the update. Any chance you can share the wiring diagram?

Ken
PieEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
cd6400

Its in pdf format and I get an error when trying to upload to the forum. Send me your email via private message and I send it that way. I was able to dislodge the pinched wiring harness and repair the damaged wires. So far no repeat of the blown fuse....