Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-24-2007, 03:54 PM   #1
Texas TC

Default International Truck and Engine UAW workers strike

My SuperNova is stuck at the Dallas International Truck dealer awaiting parts for some warranty work due to a UAW strike at ITE. I hope this gets resolved soon so I can get the coach back and prepare for my next adventure. You just never know what will come along in life that will affect you. Although the Texas plant is non-union, the parts depot employees are part of UAW and it has almost stopped work at the dealer service departments when non-inventory parts are required from the depot. The following is from the Business Journal of Milwaukee:

" Union workers at International Truck and Engine Corp. plants in six states went on strike Tuesday after negotiating with the company since late August.

United Auto Workers said Tuesday that more than 4,000 union members hit the picket lines to protest against what the UAW called "unfair labor practices." The strike does not include the truck manufacturer's plant at 1401 Perkins Ave. in Waukesha. The company operates both union and nonunion facilities.

International Truck and Engine is a division of Warrenville, Ill.-based Navistar International Corp., which has 16,000 workers nationwide. The UAW represents 3,700 workers at nine facilities.

Among the striking workers are about 700 Ohio workers who were laid-off Oct. 1 when Navistar moved production from Springfield, Ohio, to a nonunion plant in Texas and plants in Mexico. The UAW called the company's moves in Springfield an "illegal lockout."

Jeff Bowen, International's vice president for human resources, called the union's decision to strike disappointing in a news release.

"All of the changes we have been discussing are already in place at other UAW-represented manufacturers in our industry," Bowen said. "We've been bargaining in good faith for over two years, and we continue to work very hard to reach a positive outcome for our business and our employees. This strike is unfortunate, but it does not change our goals."

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
SueMac

Wrote you a PM to see how the coach work was coming.
Now I know.....hope it gets resolved soon!
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
Texas TC

Yea! My coach is no longer being held hostage. I got it back this afternoon, first oil change done, some warranty items complete and ready for our next adventure in mid-November. The International service center said parts are coming slowly but they are attainable with some minor delay.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
BillClinton

Default Re: International Truck and Engine UAW workers strike

Good for you dude. Now your truck is back. Its really hard to deal with that kind of situation. Now just focus on making the most out of your truck.