Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
RayChez1

Default Vent Pipe to black and grey tanks

My question is pertaining to the vent pipe coming off the black tank. Is this pipe a straight through pipe or does it have some valve between the tank and the venturi on top of the roof. I have heard that some have a one way valve and some have told me that it is a straight pipe from the black tank. Not sure if the grey tank is also included in this vent pipe.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
Chuck v

Default Re: Vent Pipe to black and grey tanks

Ray,

I am pretty sure the vent for my black tank is separate from the one for my grey tank on my T40-C...the vent covers are about a foot or two apart on the roof over the partition wall of the bathroom where the vertical pipes must run.

There may be a fitting or double elbow at the tank end to keep the vertical pipe from slipping down fully into the tank and sealing itself off, but as far as I know there is no check valve on my coach in that area.

What kind of issue are you chasing??

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
RayChez1

What I am concerned about is when we flush the toilet, lets say there is a gallon of water on it, it will blurp water up like if the vent might be plugged up and the fumes from the holding tank instead of going out through the vent pipe it seems like the pressure from the gasses in the tank are coming back up the toilet.

Maybe it is just my imagination, but I do not remember it doing that before. I always flush the tanks with the built in sprayer after I dump, so I am not sure if the vent might have gotten plugged up. Not sure what to think.

Reason why I asked if there was a one way valve in the black tank pipe was because I was thinking of getting a water hose and back flushing it with pressure. If there was any obstruction it would push it back into the black tank IF there is no check valve.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 11-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
Chuck v

Ray,

I have had a similar odor and back "gassing" issue once on my rig and also thought the vent might be plugged. It turns out that all symptoms cleared up when I spent considerably more time using the sprayer after I drained the tank. I have taken to using a clear section of tubing and elbow at the output of the "Y" below the grey and black gate valves before the flex hose... During the longer spraying I did see some additional solids get flushed out, and the odor/back gassing went away.

How long have you been spraying each time when using the internal tank cleaning system? I used to give it about two minutes or so...but with the experience I gained with the odor episode and the longer spraying, now I give it at least 5 to 7 minutes. Also, I turn off the spray and let the flow cease as observed in the clear section and then give it another two minutes -- sometimes that will dislodge additional sludge or solids. Pretty gross subject, but now I know the tank is really getting emptied and rinsed.

Chuck

Old 11-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
RayChez1

Well we are not getting any odor at all, maybe it is because I use Happy Camper which eats up all the solids before I dump the tanks. Usually when I dump there is hardly any odor what so ever because of the enzyme chemical I use. And I am not even sure that the vent pipe is plugged up. I was just assuming and was thinking of doing a back flush just in case something plugged it up. I called a plumber and he said he has seen many plugged up by something called a mud dubber. I believe that was the bee he described. LOL! I had never heard of that kind of insect here in California.

So today I am going to take the Vac-U-Jet roof vent off and put a water hose to it, and run some water down into the black tank. If there is no one way valve, it should work to clear up any tissue IF it is there.

Thanks for the advice Chuck.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 11-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
RayChez1

Well I just run water at full pressure down the vent and it seems like there was no restriction. So I do not know why it vents in both directions when flushing.

Thanks for trying to help.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 11-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
Chuck v

Ray,

Mud dauber wasps make nests out of mud rather than paper as the name implies. Here is a site with pictures and descriptions:
http://www.oocities.org/brisbane_wasps/Palmdart.htm These nests are often made in open pipes.

I have seen plenty of these in Southern California and they are common throughout the lower 48 states.

Hope your issue is not a recurring one, but let us know what if anything you find.

Chuck

Old 11-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
RayChez1

Chuck, I did not find anything wrong with the vent pipe, but I did discover one thing that I did not know about my coach. The grey tank which is like 65 gallons and the black which is 45 gallons are both connected to the same vent pipe. Therefore if my grey tank gets over filled, it will start filling the black tank through the cross over of the vent pipe. I do not have two vent pipes as you described.
Aventa II Blue Ox