Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-27-2019, 11:34 PM   #1
Tolepathy

Default 97 TourMaster 8392

Hi everyone!

Very new here and in the process of buying our first motorhome. We are looking at a 97 Tourmaster 8392 with 112k miles on it. Everything looks very clean on the inside. Exterior has some cosmetic issues (basement door latches are broken). Other than that it looks very beautiful. My wife loves it but I am concerned. I have heard of leaking issues with Tourmaster's and soft spots on the floor. This model does not have any slideouts but I would like to take notes of your all's experience with this particular model or models with no slides to factor in before I buy it. It will be my first ever diesel engine and I am well aware of the costs associated with it. She is certainly an old coach so small things I am totally ok with. I am also looking at a 2000 Monaco diplomat as a comparison ( if there is any?) Looking forward to your thoughts, experience, and council.

-Tole
Tolepathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:01 AM   #2
Restorium

Have a diesel mechanic look at it. Look at the ceiling for signs of leaks, water stains. Get up on the roof and look closely for bad spots. Makes sure everything works, try out all of the accessories. If it passes those tests and drives good you probably are good to go. Everything else is minor.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
RayChez1

I believe in 97 TourMaster was their top of the line coach. But I would have a person with experience on motor homes check it out for you and he would know what to look for. Water stains is a sign of leakage, but that goes with any manufacturer. You can get water leaks on any brand. Main thing is whether water has caused damage and can you get it corrected. I am not sure what kind of roof the TourMasters had in 97 whether it was all fiber glass or rubber membrane. But get on top and check it out. If it is fiber glass check the seams to see if they have been chalked or if cracks appear on the calking. I used to hate chalking every year, so what I done is applied Eternabond tape which you can get from Amazon and you will never have to worry about any water leak on the roof again.
The engine is probably a Caterpillar or Cummins, both good diesel engines and the mileage is not bad. Those engines with proper care can last a long time before they need over haul, guessing a minimum of 300K miles.
No slides would be a problem for me, because once you get a coach with slides you will always want them, but they are mechanical and they can give problems at times. So that not having slides is one or two problems you will not have to worry about. Check the tires for checking and tires should be changed every five to six years. Not by wear because on a motor home you will never wear the tread like an automobile, you change because at five years the rubber starts to crack and could cause a blow out. Test drive it and good luck with what ever you get. Monaco Diplomats are also a good coach.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tourmaster