Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-29-2019, 01:12 PM   #1
Frnzkchar

Send a message via AIM to Frnzkchar Send a message via Skype™ to Frnzkchar
Default Steering stabilizers

Any thoughts on steering stabilizers? I have my CDL A, so acustom to big trucks, but going on vaca dont want to have to strong arm tbe wheel. Want a nice smooth glide like the truck......
Frnzkchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #2
Sudsy

It depends on what chassis you have.. I have a Workhorse and don't feel the need for any steering modofication. It handles wind and rough road just fine.

Sudsy
Old 10-01-2019, 01:40 PM   #3
bbybee

I have a 2007 Crescendo on a frigtliner and I do get some drifting at speed. So I end up doing a lot of correcting to stay centered in the lane so I was thinking about stabilizers also.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
Frnzkchar

Send a message via AIM to Frnzkchar Send a message via Skype™ to Frnzkchar

Thanks for your imput. Its greatly appreciated.
I do have the workhorse chassis and dont feel its a necessity. Our son who also is a trucker didnt think it was needed.
The big BUT his wife and our other daughter inlaw where inquiring about steering stabilizers. As they seem to think the wind pushes them. The both of them soaking wet w/ sweats on weight barely 100lbs. Neither of them have CDL, or drive big trucks. Im thinking the more they become accustomed to driving it the better RV drivers they will become.
Frnzkchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:59 PM   #5
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbybee View Post
I have a 2007 Crescendo on a frigtliner and I do get some drifting at speed. So I end up doing a lot of correcting to stay centered in the lane so I was thinking about stabilizers also.

This sounds like "neutral Tow alignment" try to find someplace to check the front end alignment. A truck stop may even do this. I don't know the specs but it's never neutral. It could be other axis also like not enough caster or camber.

Sudsy
Old 10-02-2019, 11:33 AM   #6
bbybee

Sudsy thanks for the info I will do that.

Buck
Old 10-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #7
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
This sounds like "neutral Tow alignment" try to find someplace to check the front end alignment. A truck stop may even do this. I don't know the specs but it's never neutral. It could be other axis also like not enough caster or camber.

Sudsy

I love quoting myself!!!

After some thought it came to me that rear engine and front engine coaches are going to act a lot differently. I have a big Chevy V8 over my front end. It doesn't "float" at all.

Sudsy
Old 10-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #8
bbybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I love quoting myself!!!
Sudsy

Now that's Funny!!!

But back at the ranch; I took the RV in to have some PM done and asked them to see what they see. Sine my tires are very new, only 1000 miles, they should be able to look at tire ware and both front and rear end alignment and tell what's going on.

Buck
Old 10-03-2019, 02:30 PM   #9
Sudsy

Default Let the Quoting Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbybee View Post
Now that's Funny!!!

But back at the ranch; I took the RV in to have some PM done and asked them to see what they see. Sine my tires are very new, only 1000 miles, they should be able to look at tire ware and both front and rear end alignment and tell what's going on.

Buck

My V8 coach (Workhorse) has a straight axle front end. So toe adjustment is going to be easy but caster and camber are going to require shims. Anyhoot I never wear out tires. They just get too old.

And I guess with a diesel coch the lower the fuel level the lightr the front end and the more drifting your going to feel.

Sudsy