Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-22-2021, 11:56 AM   #1
Sed8me

Default No power to water heater electrical outlet - 197BH

I have a 2021 197BH which upon closer inspection, doesn't appear to be getting power to the electrical outlet for the water heater. Any ideas before I start pulling apart the electrical system?

Details:
  • Tried to heat water using electric (instead of gas) with trailer plugged into shore power. It didn't work.
  • Turns out cord coming from the water heater was not plugged into the outlet located right by the water heater. It likely came this way from the dealer.
  • Checked outlet and wiring to outlet, no 120v in either the outlet or the 5' of exposed wiring leading to the outlet.
  • If I plug the water heater using an extension cord and flip the electric water heater switch, it works great.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Clayton
Sed8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:18 PM   #2
lets go

I assume you checked the breaker in the panel inside the unit. Could possible be on a GFCI inside possibly bathroom or kitchen that needs to be reset
lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #3
Sed8me

Oh the GFCI in the kitchen, I didn't try that one, great idea, I'll try that this evening. I did try the GFCI in the bathroom as well as the panel inside the unit.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:36 AM   #4
Sed8me

Still stuck on this problem. All of the plug-ins work, except the water heater. There is only the one GFCI in the bathroom, which seems to protect all of the receptacles. Any other suggestions?
Old 08-15-2021, 11:19 AM   #5
deplorablemike

Gotta be a breaker somewhere if it's not the GFI.It's not impossible someone didn't wire it at the factory.Did you pull the recepticule out and check for loose/incorrect wiring?Lastly call the FACTORY,talk to a tech and find out where it's connected to and if they've had similar issues.Should have passed factory/dealer check off.
deplorablemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 02:08 PM   #6
RY469

Sometimes you just have to physically trace the wire to find the other end. Many times it's a bad connection in the back of an outlet. The Romex pushes into the back and the insulation is pierced to make connection. Not a great design, but could be your issue.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #7
Sed8me

Thanks deplorablemike and RY469 not only did your posts spur me on to find a solution, but got me pointed in the right direction. It turns out it was a bad breaker. Everything was wired correctly and it probably left the factory working (my assumption only). Once a new breaker was installed, all was good.

Also, for info, when I wanted to use electric heating, I simply ran an extension cord from the water heater to the outside receptacle on the trailer, worked great, just not pretty.

Thanks everyone.

Tags
197bh, electrical, heater, problem, water