Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
Trooper-D

Default Low Clearance Solutions

I have been trying out various low clearance avoidance tools after witnessing a horrible accident and having a close call myself. Obviously I look out for the signs ahead, but not all bridges are posted and it's no good for planning a route anyway.

So what are the options?

Rand McNally Motor Carrier Road Atlas

Pros - Much more than a low clearance list, with an abundance of useful information.

Cons - Limited to just over 1000 low clearances. Can't use while driving. Costs around $50.

Available at: http://www.amazon.com/McNally-Deluxe-Mo ... 0528942123

POI-Factory.com low clearance POI database for GPS

Pros - Free to download. Accurate. Ready to install.

Cons - Limited data, not much more than 300 entries.

Available at: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/1154

DiscoveryOwners.com low clearance POI database for GPS

Pros - Free to download. Accurate.

Cons - Limited data, approximately 400 entries. Many duplicates across several databases. Only available in text format.

Available at: http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfolinks.htm

LowClearances.com low clearance POI database for GPS

Pros - Huge database, up to 10 times larger than the others available. Accurate. Regularly updated. Ready to install.

Cons - Costs $20 for annual subscription.

Available at: http://www.lowclearances.com

There are also a few fully integrated GPS systems available, but these are very expensive and I cannot vouch for their accuracy or the number of low clearances in their databases.

Hope this is of use.
Trooper-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
mfa

There is also this web site.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Chuck v

Has anyone used the Garmin nuvi 465T

This is a newer unit which has the programmable height, length, and weight parameters and claims to have other RV & truck-specific features.

Since we bought our 2007 Tour Master used and the GPS it came with was removed before it went back the bank prior to our getting the coach, I am now in the market to add this function. Are there any other models that I should consider?

Thanks for any real world experiences you can share...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
Nanaeve

Default Garmin 465T

We purchased one several months ago and love it. You can program the parameters of your vehicle in to it, Height, Weight, Length, Wideth, Etc. We programed our as a locale delivery, with the idea that that more closely matches our vehicle type rather than the "over the road" type. That being said, we have not driven that much, as we just got our unit back from repair in Sept. The unit show what lane you need to be in also, to prevent needs to suddenly change at the last minute. It's not as loud as we had hoped as our Endura on the International Chassis is a little noiseier than Class A's. Just be sure to enter the "Measured" not "Book" as we found our unit to be taller then GS indicated. I installed our's next to the rearview monitor then covered the "front" side as seen from the outside of the vehicle and its not something you notice at first.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Chuck v

Thanks for the feedback!

I had read elsewhere in some reviews that the volume was limited for some in-cab environments. My old ears seem to have issues with low level speach when in background noise, so this might be an problem for me as well. Perhaps there is an output jack that can be used with an external amplifier/speaker, I should try to get my hands on a unit and read through the manual...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
Nanaeve

Default Garmin 465T

There is not an output jack, only the Power/Traffic Update Cord which is the new Mini USB style. I took the cover of of the overheaad console and using the inline splice connectors put in a power outlet that left the cable up high in the overhead area. I think it helps reception. I you find a work aroung let us know, I'm thinking of putting a mini jack in the side and running it to the input / RCA jack on the radioso that its got some better volumn. We can hear it but it could be way better.