Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
revoirfamily

Default 2008 International Conquest Super C Brakes

Hello to Everyone- New to Forum
Just recently purchased a 2008 Gulfstream 37’ Super C built on International 4200 chassis.
After about 400 or so miles the “low Brake Pressure light” illuminated along with illumination of ABS light on dash. Brakes felt fine; fearing a serious issue we stopped and turned unit off. After checking for leaking lines and master cylinder fluid levels we restarted the motor and lights were now OFF. This happened several more times. along with in the coach going into creeper mode where forward movement was strained and limited to about 10 MPH.
Summoned a service mechanic who arrived to coach and pulled the ABS sensors wiped them off and re-inserted. We travel another ways to area near Green view Tennessee where brake pressure completely disappeared at cruise speed and hand brake was only means of stopping.
Towed to local camp ground again summoned recommended service technicians who using a meter device informed we needed to replace the ABS sensors along with some solenoid under the master cylinder! Sadly they informed that since they were “rural” getting parts was an issue. We called a International dealer and had parts FEDEX to Camp ground overnight.
Next day service repair installed parts. Costs $350.00 for parts and shipping plus $150.00 to install. Finally around 6 PM we departed towards Maryland; no more than twenty miles later problem came up again. Service repairman again checked for “codes” in computer…We finally got to return to Maryland around 04:30 in the morning. We took Motorhome with lights illuminated to a International Truck dealer in Virginia after three days of diagnostic checking we were SHOCKED to learn the following
Parts we spent $500 on did not need to be replaced and the parts needed to fix problem are an electronic device with motors that controls the brakes and cost to replace will be $4848.00
I’m stuck as I already own it so I must repair it- but I’m hampered on question if this is a “Gulfstream Super C” issue- have other owners of similar models experienced similar braking issues?
revoirfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #2
atberger1

Default Re: 2008 International Conquest Super C Brakes

I had to replace the entire brake controller unit in the fall on my Super Nova 6400. I was ready to leave for a Penn State football game and pulled forward in my driveway to hook up my tow vehicle and quickly realized I had no brakes and pulled the emergency brake. I had the vehicle towed (Good Sam roadside assistance @ no charge) to my local International dealer. The entire repair totaled $4427 but included a $1,000 core charge for the return of the old unit to Webco. I got this back less the $278 overnight shipping charge. I am told that this unit frequently fails in almost all International chasis.

Luckily I did invest in Good Sam extended warranty which covered $2839 of the repair. This difference was my $250 deductible and labor that they would not reimburse. The dealer charged 6 hours labor but Good Sam would only cover 3 hrs.

I would strongly recommend looking into the Good Sam Extended service plan. It costs me about $350 each quarter but does help when you have a major repair.