Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-13-2021, 10:22 PM   #1
Jane

Default Toilet / black tank clog?

My question is mainly how do I unclog my toilet but I’ll give the history below in case the background info is helpful.

I bought a used 2018 Vintage Cruiser 23RSS last Dec. I discovered the sensor was reading 2/3 full but the prior owner said she never used it. She had bought it from a dealership less than a year prior. The dealership claimed they emptied the tank but apparently they didn’t. The former owner paid to have a port-o-potty service come to my home and empty the tank. Not much came out and the tank read 1/3 full after. I sprayed it out with the built in feature and the water ran freely and clear. I didn’t begin using the tank until recently. The sensor didn’t seem reliable so I was guessing on when to dump. Not much solids seemed to be passing through but liquids were. Then, liquid stopped passing through. I filled the tank with water and used Unique tank cleaner. That seemed to help the liquid once again flow out of the tank but I’m not sure if it digested everything in the tank or not. When I open the toilet valve I see liquid and some floating bits so I know the toilet is still clogged. My questions are what should I use to unclog the toilet and how do I know if there’s still a bunch of solids in the tank that aren’t coming out? The sensor now reads empty when I drain the tank and climbs as I add water using the built in sprayer so it seems accurate unless there’s a pile in there that isn’t in contact with the sensors.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:04 AM   #2
lets go

Something you might try if you suspect that you still have waste in the tank is put a couple of bags of ice down the toilet and drive around on a bumpy road, then dump the tank and after that you can pour some vegetable oil in the tank and let it stay until next dumping. You could also buy one of those spray wands that screw onto end of hose and stick it down the throat of toilet and move it around sometimes the black tank flush system just dot cut it.

I have never seen a one of those tank sensors that work correctly and that goes for gray and fresh water as well.

Hope this helps
lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:47 AM   #3
DolceFarNiente

How long did you let the water sit in the tank before draining it?

If you have a years-old pile of dried out waste, it may take quite a while for it to rehydrate and be flushable.

I would fill the tank 3/4 full again with water and a couple cups of Calgon water softener and a bottle of Dawn dish liquid. Let it sit for two weeks and then take a drive to slosh everything around.

Flush when you get home. This should take care of the dreaded Brown Pyramid and clean your sensors as well.

Incidentally, the quickest way to BUILD the pyramid is to leave the black water valve hooked up and open at a campground. Waste simply won't flush out with the relative trickle of water that RV toilets use.

Always keep the black tank valve closed and don't dump until 2/3 or more full. If you have to dump before that 2/3 is reached, add fresh water; you need that WHOOSH to get everything out of the tank.

Add a few gallons of fresh water to the empty tank to prevent waste from sticking to the bottom.
DolceFarNiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:50 PM   #4
canyan

Try Happy Campers extreme cleaner for holding tanks.I use happy campers organic tank treatment all the time never had any issues with clogging or odours
canyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 08:35 AM   #5
Henry111

We purchased toilet cleaner along with Unique RV Digest Pods and couldn't be happier. Toilet cleaner seems to use more natural ingredients and keeps things fresh. After reading the caravan manual I was afraid to clean the toilet with anything that could be damaged. So far I haven't noticed any discoloration or damage. Just a fresh clean caravan toilet if someone is actually going to clean it!
Henry111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black water, clog, clogged, tank, toilet