Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-25-2021, 09:44 PM   #1
FL_Matt

Default hitch question

Just bought a barely used 2021 Kingsport Super Light 199DD and am taking delivery in a few days. I have two questions I just can't get answered by searching online.

First, I am trying to set up the new weight distributing hitch I bought and I need to know the coupler height for the trailer so I can install the ball at approx the right height. I know it will need final adjustment once the trailer is hitched, but the dealer is 2 hours away and I would like to prep as much as possible ahead of time. I am not going to get on the highway without it.

Second, I bought the Husky 31997 800LB hitch because I originally was planning to buy a heavier trailer. It is unclear if this is too much or not, since the rated tongue weight of this trailer is only 375LB. The hitch documentation lists 800LB as the maximum tongue weight and does not state a minimum. This is my first WD hitch and I need to know if this is too much tension. can the tension be reduced by adding a link to the setup for the bars or do I need to try to exchange this for a lighter unit? I'm having trouble finding one under 600LB and many sites seem to group all under 800LB under one product.
FL_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
Dennis4809

I’ve always done the adjustment at the links. Can see where one might be to light but can’t see how it could be to heavy.

As for your initial trip home, just pick a height and go for it. A little high or low won’t matter with an unloaded trailer. A little low is probably better than to high as you could make up the difference by tightening the wdh.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:32 PM   #3
maddog53

I picked up my 2021 199RK 2 1/2 hours from home with a regular hitch. It was windy and the trailer swayed quite a bit. I was not going to worry about not having a weight distribution/sway control hitch for this one ride. I only use the sway control hitch when I make trios that are at minimum 1 hour away and use my standard hitch for the short trips
maddog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:13 PM   #4
FL_Matt

Default coupler height

Thanks for the input about the WD hitch. The manufacturer stated that it is OK to use as long as it is adjusted properly. If properly adjusted, the tension will match the tongue weight. If set too strong, the front of the tow vehicle will drop. If too loose, the front will lift up.

My primary issue is that I am towing with a Navigator, and the lowest I can get the hitch ball is 22". I need to know if this is too high because if I need a new shank I need to know ASAP so I can order one.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 09-27-2021, 08:20 AM   #5
maddog53

My suggestion is to not do anything until you get it in your driveway. Get it home and have at it. It should be no issue
maddog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:49 AM   #6
Farmer Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Matt View Post
Just bought a barely used 2021 Kingsport Super Light 199DD and am taking delivery in a few days. I have two questions I just can't get answered by searching online.

First, I am trying to set up the new weight distributing hitch I bought and I need to know the coupler height for the trailer so I can install the ball at approx the right height. I know it will need final adjustment once the trailer is hitched, but the dealer is 2 hours away and I would like to prep as much as possible ahead of time. I am not going to get on the highway without it.

Second, I bought the Husky 31997 800LB hitch because I originally was planning to buy a heavier trailer. It is unclear if this is too much or not, since the rated tongue weight of this trailer is only 375LB. The hitch documentation lists 800LB as the maximum tongue weight and does not state a minimum. This is my first WD hitch and I need to know if this is too much tension. can the tension be reduced by adding a link to the setup for the bars or do I need to try to exchange this for a lighter unit? I'm having trouble finding one under 600LB and many sites seem to group all under 800LB under one product.
What vehicle are you towing this trailer with? EDIT: Ok, I see Navigator. What is the year, payload and weight of the vehicle?

The reason I ask...

I have a Gulf Stream 19ERD -if I fully load the trailer it could top out at about 4200 lbs (trailer and cargo). So that is about 420 on the tongue. I am usually around 3800 - 3900lbs, so I run right at about 400lbs tongue. I tow with a half-ton truck and do not use a WDH. 2020 RAM 1500 Limited that weighs 6100lbs unloaded so the little trailer behind me does not sway at all even in high winds, passing or being passed by Semi trucks. I bought a Curt 750/7500 12" Ball mount bar. Works perfect, takes off a bunch of payload weight and way less complicated.

But the tow vehicle will dictate this

Also 800lb bars on a 400lb tongue might be very bouncy. The springs might snap back a lot on bumps and such. The Husky 31997 looks a LOT like my eaz-lift elite system, if you are pressed on using the WDH, look and see if Husky sells lower rated springs. The Eaz-lift has many different weight bars. I would get closer to your tongue weight for a more pleasant experience. You should be able to just get the bars or return for the lower spring rate set. 600 will be a LOT better than 800. And yet another reason I was glad to ditch the WDH system.
Farmer Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:20 AM   #7
FL_Matt

I'm towing with a Lincoln Navigator with coilover shocks instead of air suspension. I tow a 5000LB box trailer regularly without a WD hitch, but that trailer is only 12 ft long. I was trying to drive the 2 hours back at a minimum with a level trailer, and if it has a 17" coupler height I will be off by 4 inches
Old 09-27-2021, 10:47 AM   #8
Farmer Fran

Quote:
I'm towing with a Lincoln Navigator with coilover shocks instead of air suspension. I tow a 5000LB box trailer regularly without a WD hitch, but that trailer is only 12 ft long. I was trying to drive the 2 hours back at a minimum with a level trailer, and if it has a 17" coupler height I will be off by 4 inches
You need to determine your drop or rise

So -with both vehicles on level ground

Measure from the ground to the top edge of the hitch receiver on the navigator

Then measure from the ground to the bottom edge of the trailer’s coupler.

Subtract the height of the receiver from the height of the coupler. This is where you will set the WDH. For proper setup you want the trailer level or slightly down. UP is bad.

Attach the spring bars for tension. With that you will need to follow their recommended set up on the vehicle/WDH but you usually measure the front wheel gap with no weight then with the bars and it should move less than X inches.

Or you can hookup the trailer and use the tongue jack to get back to level then set the spring bar on the link that keeps it level when the weight is on. By using the loaded and unloaded gap measure
Old 09-27-2021, 11:39 AM   #9
FL_Matt

I don't have the trailer yet, so i can't measure it, that's why I'm asking for help. I don't know the coupler height and I am asking if someone with this model will please tell me what it is so I can make sure that I have the right hardware. If it is lower than 21" I will need to buy a longer shank to accommodate, and I need to know before I get to the dealer
Old 09-27-2021, 12:21 PM   #10
Farmer Fran

Quote:
I don't have the trailer yet, so i can't measure it, that's why I'm asking for help. I don't know the coupler height and I am asking if someone with this model will please tell me what it is so I can make sure that I have the right hardware. If it is lower than 21" I will need to buy a longer shank to accommodate, and I need to know before I get to the dealer
Call the dealer they should be able to tell you.

Seems like the hitch height on the Nav is really high, what year is it?

Looking at pictures of the trailer I bet it is 17
Old 09-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #11
FL_Matt

its a 2004 and it might be an inch or two high because when the truck blew an airbag I replaced the air suspension with coilover shocks from a Ford Expedition. The truck is level with less than 1/2" difference between the front and back wheels (slightly higher in the back). The top of my receiver tube is 21" from the ground. I assembled the WD hitch using the lowest holes on the shank and the top of the ball is at 22", even though Husky's site says that hitch has a 2-3/8" drop. Looks like I need an additional 4" of drop if the coupler is 17" (accounting for 1" of sag). I'll probably just buy an 8" drop shank and return it if i don't use it.

Thanks for your input, you are literally the first person to give me a ballpark number, and I have called the dealership service dept and left a message with Gulf Stream technical support dept. The dealer tech told me to just bring what I have. I'm sure they just want to sell me a new hitch when this one is too high.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #12
Farmer Fran

Quote:
its a 2004 and it might be an inch or two high because when the truck blew an airbag I replaced the air suspension with coilover shocks from a Ford Expedition. The truck is level with less than 1/2" difference between the front and back wheels (slightly higher in the back). The top of my receiver tube is 21" from the ground. I assembled the WD hitch using the lowest holes on the shank and the top of the ball is at 22", even though Husky's site says that hitch has a 2-3/8" drop. Looks like I need an additional 4" of drop if the coupler is 17" (accounting for 1" of sag). I'll probably just buy an 8" drop shank and return it if i don't use it.

Thanks for your input, you are literally the first person to give me a ballpark number, and I have called the dealership service dept and left a message with Gulf Stream technical support dept. The dealer tech told me to just bring what I have. I'm sure they just want to sell me a new hitch when this one is too high.
If I understand what you are writing the way your particular setup would work...you do not look at the ball, it is accounted for already.

It is the bottom of the coupler and top of the receiver hole (inside). So with your setup you should be at ~19" for coupler height with the hitch at its lowest setting (I am not counting the 3/8" in the math so you could say 18-5/8") so you would need 2 more inches - assuming it is 17" coupler.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:18 PM   #13
FL_Matt

Thank you. The husky directions talk about using the top of the ball vs the inside top of the coupler, so it gets confusing what exactly you measure to compare apples to apples. My standard hitch drawbar has a 5" drop on it, so I'll just go with that measurement, since the enclosed trailer I tow has a 17" coupler height.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:54 AM   #14
Gregory

Either take a drop hitch with you to pick up the trailer or have the dealer setup your weight distribution hitch.
17" will be pretty close to the ball height.
I towed mine home without a weight distribution hitch but did have a sway control.
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:54 AM   #15
FL_Matt

Thanks everyone. I did find a longer shank from EAZ-Lift (overnight delivery from Amazon) that gave me the extra 2" of drop I needed for a 17" coupler and is compatible with the Husky. I will also bring my existing drawbar with the 5" drop that is already set for a 17" coupler. I'll let them dial in the hitch, I just wanted to make sure that the hardware I had could be adjusted to the proper height when the time came.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #16
FL_Matt

After several trips to the dealer because of miscommunications and weirdness, we finally picked up the trailer. The bottom of the coupler is 17" and the inside top of the ball cup is 18.5". The Husky instructions asked for the inside of the ball cup and recommended setting the height of the top of the ball at 1" higher than that. With the additional 2" drop from the new shank (total 5" drop), that put me at 19.25", so pretty close. After setting the anchor points and hooking the chains, we were good and level. With the WD hitch and antisway, it was smooth on the highway, even though it was a bit windy and passed/ got passed by a few big rigs.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:30 PM   #17
Farmer Fran

Quote:
After several trips to the dealer because of miscommunications and weirdness, we finally picked up the trailer. The bottom of the coupler is 17" and the inside top of the ball cup is 18.5". The Husky instructions asked for the inside of the ball cup and recommended setting the height of the top of the ball at 1" higher than that. With the additional 2" drop from the new shank (total 5" drop), that put me at 19.25", so pretty close. After setting the anchor points and hooking the chains, we were good and level. With the WD hitch and antisway, it was smooth on the highway, even though it was a bit windy and passed/ got passed by a few big rigs.
NICE!!!

Enjoy, I am sure you will