Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-27-2021, 09:04 PM   #1
USA1

Default Lost a hubcap and need a suitable replacement.

We have a Vintage Cruiser with the baby moon hubcaps. There are several types listed on Amazon but I'm not sure which one would actually work and match with the original. Has anyone purchased replacements? If so can you recommend which ones work on these trailers? Thank you
USA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:37 AM   #2
Dducz

Default Baby Moons

I lost one this year however I got my replacement through the dealer I purchased the trailer. Seemed like the easiest way to source this item without needing to worry if it fit. I believe the cost was about $80C
Dducz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:40 AM   #3
USA1

Thanks but that price is highway robery. Those caps are so thin and cheap and no better than what Amazon sells. Dealers price gouge on parts and that's what I wanted to avoid. I appreciate the reply anyway.
USA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:49 AM   #4
Eddie

E-trailer sells them for a little over $30 a piece. I lost one on my last trip out and have been looking to replace it.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:38 PM   #5
Ldubs

Had to order my second one in less than a year. It should arrive tomorrow. Only place online that I could find one is eTrailer. Might have to get a little creative mounting them so I don't have to continually go through this.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 02:01 PM   #6
Ldubs

Just for reference for those who find themselves needing a replacement baby moon for their Vintage Cruiser. Here is the part number for the one I rec'd from eTrailer:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VCBabyMoon.jpg (111.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-10-2021, 06:17 AM   #7
Bob McLaren

Default hub caps

lost 2 in last year, replaced with E-trailer part shown, 2 for about $60.
Old body guy I met camping suggested a few dabs of silicone glue at a few spots around the edge. So far still on, but haven't tried to take them off yet.
Bob McLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #8
Ldubs

I just installed the new one and re-installed the other one using the silicone dabs the "lugs" they snap over.

Using a little silicone seems like great advice. Otherwise, I wonder how long before I'm buying another replacement. Fingers crossed this works.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:26 PM   #9
deplorablemike

On last trip I lost one. Searched around and since they are a standard size "Baby Moon" hubcap for cars I bought a PAIR on Amazon for 15 bucks! Bought them in a pair in case they looked little different and I would have an extra if they did look the same and they matched so I have a "spare" to use if needed or if I mount an outside spare tire.
deplorablemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:01 PM   #10
Ldubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deplorablemike View Post
On last trip I lost one. Searched around and since they are a standard size "Baby Moon" hubcap for cars I bought a PAIR on Amazon for 15 bucks! Bought them in a pair in case they looked little different and I would have an extra if they did look the same and they matched so I have a "spare" to use if needed or if I mount an outside spare tire.

Good idea. I paid $20 per.

Can you share the specific item from Amazon that worked for you. That would terrific info to keep in our hip pocket. Thx.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:27 PM   #11
deplorablemike

Amazon Grand General 10570 hubcap $7.99 each,fit fine,can't tell the difference.
Old 04-03-2022, 01:42 PM   #12
WOODY69

Default half moon hubcap removal

Any suggestions on removing the hubcap? lightly tried different pry bars, but saw that I was about to damage one.

GulfStream woody 17 RWD
WOODY69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:42 PM   #13
deplorablemike

Default hubcap removal

The rim has 3 nub's or ear's that grab the inside rolled edge of hubcap, Just at one of the nubs need to be pried. If you look at where the hubcap and rim meet you can usually see where the nub's are . If not try slipping a piece of paper between the cap and moving along edge and you can find the nub, Pry there with a small 90 degree pry (put a piece of cardboard or plastic on the rim so you don's scratch the rim).When replacing the hubcap you engage 2 of the nub's and push the cap toward the 3rd nub with one hand and using the other hand to snap the cap back on.Don't use a rubber mallet to pound on the cap, you'll dent it !
Old 04-04-2022, 06:11 PM   #14
WOODY69

Great tip, thanks!!
Old 04-04-2022, 06:12 PM   #15
WOODY69

great screen name too !! lol