Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-12-2021, 03:14 PM   #1
smitharbie

Default Air Dryer Purge Valve

My purge valve on the air dryer purges at 120 (so far so good) then continues to spew out some air until pressure falls to 90 lbs and then stops putting out air while the compressor is running. This is without using any brakes, either sitting still or driving. I had the dryer rebuilt. Still does the same thing. Cycles like this about every 2 or 3 minutes. I'm fairly certain this is not normal, but can someone give me some insight?

1997 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 34' air brakes, air ride suspension. Thanks!
smitharbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:31 AM   #2
smitharbie

Found out the air dryer had not been serviced after all. Paid for it, but it wasn't done. Can plainly see that the lower kit parts were never removed. Will have to go back to the shop and inquire! Hmmmmmm! Bought a new dryer because I thought the kit had been done and hadn't worked. I'll be better off anyway with a complete dryer because it is all new and the upper is new also and with the desiccant filter. Purchased a new governor also.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:44 PM   #3
RVGirl

Default Where can I find new air bags for a 1998 Class a

I am having trouble finding replacement airbags, Got a hole in the front driver's side. They don't make the originals and since the frame is a Spartan, the local Freightliner repair shop won't touch it. Need to find a cross-over. Any body found these?
thank-you!!
RV Girl
RVGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:28 AM   #4
smitharbie

I found that a truck (semi) repair shop can get most anything for you from their suppliers, and can install them. You can get the airbag through Spartan in Lansing MI, but of course it would be expensive. I found the smaller Truck Repair shops seem to be better. Of course, each one is different, and I had the one that wasn't that good. Found another one, though! The RV chassis service companies are really expensive and not too helpful. I'm not advocating large Truck Stop places, but smaller shops. More personal, and can talk to them.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
RVGirl

Thank-you for the reply. I finally found a cross-over air bag as the parts are not available anymore. A great resource is Find It Parts 800-312-8812. It will have some modifications to the attachment brackets but it will get us back on the road.

Michelle
Old 11-03-2021, 12:11 PM   #6
CoachStreamr

I'd give Spartan a call with your VIN/Model info.. they should be able to help. You may need to have a plate manufactured for the bag to sit on (ours need that).

Also, it would help if you added your Coach info in your forum signature.
1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #7
RVGirl

We did call Spartan. we were told these air bags are not available anymore. I found the crossover and will have the tech determine if we need the need plate as you suggested.
We have:
1998 Gulfstream Sunvoyager
Old 11-03-2021, 12:42 PM   #8
CoachStreamr

Is your Coach on a Spartan EC2242 chassis w/Granning Air Ride Suspension?

That's interesting Spartan said they were discontinued. I may have to call them again about ours.

I'm surprised they couldn't give you a Firestone part number.

What are the part numbers for the crossover fronts and rears?
and
What part numbers did you have for the originals (for fronts and rears)?

Check this thread about the plate
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/air-...nt-291945.html

Please do reply/update here with the part numbers (for front and rears) of the replacement air bags you get and if you had to add the plates.

Pictures would be great to, perhaps you may want to start a new Forum Thread and link that thread in a reply here.

If you have the Granning, you may be able to find that info on a plate somewhere on the chassis (we also have an additional plate with that info with all the manuals. Then call Granning, perhaps they can help with part numbers.

Spartan should be able to provide some chassis illustrations for your specific Coach, like the one in this Thread (Post #6):
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/1995...em-140858.html

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air leak, compressor, purge valve