Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-16-2021, 06:34 PM   #1
KPMullen

Default 2007 Tour Master Roof Access

I'm looking to mount the Poynting antenna for my PepWave.

I'd like to remove the unused satellite dish and use the existing space and hole to feed the cable inside.

It looks like I should be able to access it behind the living room light. I can see a hole above it.

I've found four screws that spin but don't loosen.

Has anyone removed one? Am I on the right track?

Is it glued and screwed? Is that why the screws aren't backing out? Do I need to "coax" it down?

Thanks,

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gulf Stream Living Room Light.jpg (55.3 KB, 4 views)

2007 Tour Master T40-C
2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

Full-timer
KPMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:35 AM   #2
KPMullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPMullen View Post
I'm looking to mount the Poynting antenna for my PepWave.

I'd like to remove the unused satellite dish and use the existing space and hole to feed the cable inside.

It looks like I should be able to access it behind the living room light. I can see a hole above it.

I've found four screws that spin but don't loosen.

Has anyone removed one? Am I on the right track?

Is it glued and screwed? Is that why the screws aren't backing out? Do I need to "coax" it down?

Thanks,

Kevin
Nobody has removed or been up inside this light?

Am I really in uncharted territory?

2007 Tour Master T40-C
2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

Full-timer
Old 11-07-2021, 11:00 AM   #3
Chuck v

Kevin,

I have never had this large fixture down, so don't have any specific instructions. Just off-hand, the first thing I would do is to take out any one of the lamp units (which I am sure are just pressed in...) to see if the underlying structure is evident from looking into that round hole... Let us know what you find. I no longer have that coach - so can't do any exploration for you.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #4
KPMullen

Thanks for the response, Chuck.

I've taken all the lamps out. They're actually each held in with two screws. There are slats across both ends of the fixture with two screws in each into the ceiling. I can put a screwdriver on each but they just spin. The screws don't loosen and the fixture doesn't move leading me to believe it may have been glued to hold it in place while the screws were installed.

I'm hesitant to put a bar between the ceiling and fixture to put some pressure on the screws to get them to back out but that may be the next step.

Kevin

2007 Tour Master T40-C
2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

Full-timer
Old 11-08-2021, 09:41 AM   #5
Chuck v

Kevin,

Still not sure why you need to remove that lamp fixture base...the wiring for my sat dish and the off air TV antenna both were routed through the front endcap above the windshield. You can access this space by removing the back false wall in the electronics cabinet just to the left of the TV itself...

What is this equipment you want to add -- I am not familiar with it.

Chuck

Old 11-08-2021, 09:58 AM   #6
KPMullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Kevin,

Still not sure why you need to remove that lamp fixture base...the wiring for my sat dish and the off air TV antenna both were routed through the front endcap above the windshield. You can access this space by removing the back false wall in the electronics cabinet just to the left of the TV itself...

What is this equipment you want to add -- I am not familiar with it.

Chuck
I've removed the satellite dishes but left the plates and wiring for the time being. I won't be using them because I do all my TV (streaming) and internet over a PepWave device. It comes with a Poynting external antenna.

My goal is (was) to use one of the satellite dish mounting plate spots (and hole) to fish the antenna cable into the upper kitchen cabinet where the PepWave is currently temporarily mounted. I hadn't really given moving the whole thing into the electronics cabinet much thought but that would work.

Either way, I need to use one of the existing cables (sat in motion or stationary sat) as a fish or chase to get the cable inside. Fishing it through seems like the biggest obstacle now. I've only got about 6' of attached cable to work with.

Thanks for helping me look at it from a totally different perspective though.

Kevin

2007 Tour Master T40-C
2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

Full-timer
Old 11-08-2021, 11:20 AM   #7
Chuck v

Kevin,

When I had my coach I was living in it full time, so the storage in the kitchen was important to me. I added organizers and even 'captured' the space over the microwave by hinging that panel so that large flat objects can be stored there. I organized the lower cabinets also with pull-out wire shelves for the same space efficiency reasons. The "attic" storage with the lift up doors (the high cabinets over the main cabinets) were important storage for light bulky items like paper towels, Kleenex, TP, paper plates and napkins, etc. and allowed me to by the large size economic packages of these items from Costco. For my own reasons, I would not consider giving up space in the storage on that side of the coach for electronics -- but perhaps your devices are quite small relative to what you have in your kitchen.

There have been pictures of my storage modifications in these forum pages before, but here are a few examples:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1469.JPG (708.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1475.JPG (823.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1478.JPG (695.9 KB, 2 views)

Old 11-08-2021, 11:49 AM   #8
KPMullen

Default 2007 Tour Master Roof Access

Great ideas, Chuck. I am full-timing as well so I'll take those suggestions to heart. Thanks!

The PepWave would actually mount under the cabinet or even on the side. (See temporary mounting picture.) As you can see the cable in the foreground is rather large (and only about 6' long). Also, note the permanent connectors on it. There's no extending it. As for size, the device itself is only 4" x 5" x 2".

I'd just be running the cable down through the back corner of the cabinet if I go that way.

But using the forward (satellite in motion) hole (as close as it is to the electronics cabinet) makes even more sense.

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PepWave.jpg (106.2 KB, 2 views)

2007 Tour Master T40-C
2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

Full-timer
Old 11-08-2021, 12:46 PM   #9
Chuck v

Kevin,

Thanks for the picture. I don't see why you say the Poynting cables can't be extended slightly, as SMA extensions in 3 foot to 10 foot and longer are readily available at cost effective pricing. See this link:
https://www.amazon.com/sma-extension...xtension+cable

On the prior topic of adding storage, here is a set of large drawers that I added in the rear walk-in closet for towels and folded clothes that sets on top of the existing right hand (driver's side) cabinet. I took the time to modify the added chest's top to capture the clothes rod in that area and ensure the cabinet stayed firmly in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1327.JPG (598.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1326.JPG (548.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1325.JPG (639.7 KB, 1 views)